The Global Classrooms Curriculum Development (GCCD) grant supports faculty in incorporating opportunities for their students to work across borders with other students around the globe. The GCCD grant offers $2000 to support the collaboration of WMU faculty with a faculty member abroad to offer on-campus, globally networked learning opportunities to their students.
The grant requires faculty to implement one or more collaborative assignments in their on-campus courses that WMU students would carry out with students abroad. This activity should be designed to connect students in active, meaningful and intentional tasks that require students to work cooperatively and collaboratively across time, distance and cultures. These Global Classrooms should give WMU students the chance to engage with students geographically distant with different linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
The Haenicke Institute for Global Education invites grant proposals for fall and spring on-campus courses.
Funding is available through Article 40.4 of the WMU-AAUP Contract.
Individuals eligible for awards are those holding board-appointed faculty rank who are members of the bargaining unit at the time that the GCCD applications are due. Those who have been previously awarded must have submitted a satisfactory final report for their most recent GCCD award prior to applying again. Both undergraduate and graduate level courses are eligible.
Grant Opens: January 2020
Grant Information Workshops:
- February 18: 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in room 210 of the Bernhard Center
- February 19: noon to 1 p.m. in room 210 of the Bernhard Center
- February 26: 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in room 210 of the Bernhard Center
- February 27: noon to 1 p.m. in room 213 of the Bernhard Center
- March 11: noon to 1 p.m. in room 213 of the Bernhard Center
- March 13: 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in room 213 of the Bernhard Center
- March 17: noon to 1 p.m. in the Faculty Lounge of the Bernhard Center
Application Due: March 30, 2020
Applications Reviewed: April 2020
Applicants Informed: Late April 2020
First Grant Payment: May 2020
Curriculum Implemented: Fall 2020; Spring 2021
Final Report Due: January 2021 for Fall 2020 course; May 2021 for Spring 2021 course
Final Grant Payment: January 2021 for Fall 2020 grant; May 2021 for Spring 2021 grant
The GCCD uses a fillable PDF application form which can be downloaded below. To apply, fill out the application, including the narrative proposal and the supplemental materials, and send a copy of the completed application to email@example.com
The application form includes:
- Applicant information: contact information and department information
- Course information: course name, frequency and term
- Partner instructor information: partner university, partner department and partner contact information
Application narrative includes:
- Assignment description: in no more than 2 pages, describe details about the assignment as outlined in the application
- Assessment description: include the type of assessment, the assessment plan for students and the assessment plan for the project
Supplemental materials include:
- Current brief curriculum vita of all participating faculty
- Letter of support from Department/Unit chair
- Letter of support from partner
- Course Syllabus
Prior to delivery of the second payment, a final report must be received. The final report includes both the completed assessment of the students and the assessment of the project. Send a copy of your final report to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fall courses deadline: January 2021
- Spring courses deadline: May 2021