WMU Department, Faculty and Staff Information

Sponsoring a work visa

Hiring an international employee for faculty and staff positions is significantly different from hiring a citizen of the United States. Sponsoring a work visa is an employer-driven process and requires the involvement of the hiring department.

As a first step, contact WMU International Student and Scholar Services to review options to obtain an employment-based visa. This must be done before an individual may lawfully work for Western Michigan University.

The process of obtaining these visas can vary significantly and advanced planning is needed; see the relevant application deadlines.

There are various options for employment-based visa categories suitable depending on the position, departmental objectives and citizenship of the prospective employee:

Departments must receive clearance from the WMU Export Control Officer (ECO) in the Office of Research and Innovation for all international employees whose work or research may be regulated by export controls. Please contact the ECO at (269)387-5933 or via email at ovpr-export-control@wmich.edu for export control guidance and decision letter. For more information, visit the Office of Research and Innovation.