Transfer resources for Southwestern Michigan College
Southwestern Michigan College and Western Michigan University have an established transfer partnership. Our goal is to help you maximize your time at SMC so that your transition to WMU is as smooth as possible. This page directs you to online resources and real people in admissions and advising that care about your questions and want to help you succeed.
WMU Essential Studies (WES) is the required curriculum for all undergraduate students at Western Michigan University. Courses are designed to help students become fluent in change and driven to contribute; develop perseverance; and be ready for their future. Students develop the skills employers seek most in graduates—demonstrated complex problem solving, critical thinking, creativity, emotional intelligence, judgment, and decision making. The WES guide is for catalog years beginning in 2020. The MTA fulfills levels 1 and 2 of WES so transfer students are encouraged to complete the MTA before transferring to Western.
ONLINE RESOURCES FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS
- Transfer admission criteria
- Transfer student scholarships
- Admitted student checklist
- Academic advising
- Michigan Transfer Agreement
- Transfer Student Services
- Career outcomes
- Lee Honors College
If you have questions, please call the Office of Admissions at (269) 387-2000.
You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus visits at WMU
SMC Honors College partnership
Students graduating in good standing from the Southwestern Michigan College Honors Program with a 3.5 GPA will automatically be invited to join WMU's Lee Honors College. The Lee Honors College is home to more than 1,5000 high-achieving students who have access to:
- A wide variety of honors courses, typically capped at 20-25 students.
- Special programs, like our Study in the States courses, open only to honors students.
- The Lee Honors College Building--our LEED silver certified facility that includes honors advising offices, a library, classroom space and a full kitchen and lounge for students to relax, socialize and study.
- Nationally- and internationally-known expert faculty mentors who will work with students on their honors thesis, an original piece of research or creative activity.
- Honors housing, Peer Student Success Team, Lyceum Lecture series, national honor societies, scholarships and more!
- Athletic Training
- Business Education
- Child and Family Development 2017 | Child and Family Development 2014
- College of Arts and Sciences
- Criminal Justice
- Early Childhood Education 2017 | Early Childhood Education 2014
- Elementary Education | Elementary Education 2017 | Elementary Education 2016 | Elementary Education 2014
- Elementary/Middle Content Minors
- Exercise Science
- Family & Consumer Services Teacher Education Major
- Family Studies 2017 | Family Studies 2014
- Fashion Design and Development
- Fashion Merchandising
- Fashion Merchandising and Design
- Food Service Administration
- Food Service Operations and Sustainability
- Freshwater Science Sustainability
- Health Education (School Emphasis) Major
- Health Education (School Emphasis) Minor
- Industrial Technology Education Non-Vocational Major 2017 | Industrial Technology Education Non-Vocational Major 2014
- Industrial Technology Education Vocational Major
- Interdisciplinary Health Services
- Interior Design
- Physical and Health Education Major
- Physical Education Minor Secondary Emphasis
- Physical Education Major: Teacher/Coach Emphasis
- Political Science
- Recreation Management
- Secondary Education: Biology
- Secondary Education: Chemistry
- Secondary Education: Earth Science
- Secondary Education: English
- Secondary Education: French
- Secondary Education: German
- Secondary Education: History
- Secondary Education: Integrated Science
- Secondary Education: Math
- Secondary Education: Physics
- Secondary Education: Political Science
- Secondary Education: Social Studies
- Secondary Education: Spanish
- Social Work
- Special Education and Elementary Education: LD & EI: K-12 2017 | Special Education and Elementary Education: LD & EI: K-12 2014
- Speech Pathology and Audiology
- Sport Management | Sport Management 2016 | Sport Management 2014
- Sustainable Brewing
- University Studies
- Workforce Education and Development Major
- Youth and Community Development