Transfer resources for Southwestern Michigan College
Southwestern Michigan College and Western Michigan University have an established transfer partnership. Our goal is to help you maximize your time at SMC so that your transition to WMU is as smooth as possible. This page directs you to online resources and real people in admissions and advising that care about your questions and want to help you succeed.
WMU Essential Studies (WES) is the required curriculum for all undergraduate students at Western Michigan University. Courses are designed to help students become fluent in change and driven to contribute; develop perseverance; and be ready for their future. Students develop the skills employers seek most in graduates—demonstrated complex problem solving, critical thinking, creativity, emotional intelligence, judgment, and decision making. The WES guide is for catalog years beginning in 2020. The MTA fulfills levels 1 and 2 of WES so transfer students are encouraged to complete the MTA before transferring to Western.
ONLINE RESOURCES FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS
- Transfer admission criteria
- Transfer student scholarships
- Admitted student checklist
- Academic advising
- Michigan Transfer Agreement
- Transfer Student Services
- Career outcomes
- Lee Honors College
If you have questions, please call the Office of Admissions at (269) 387-2000.
You can also email us at email@example.com.
Campus visits at WMU
SMC Honors College partnership
Students graduating in good standing from the Southwestern Michigan College Honors Program with a 3.5 GPA will automatically be invited to join WMU's Lee Honors College. The Lee Honors College is home to more than 2,000 high-achieving students who have access to:
- A wide variety of honors courses, typically capped at 20-25 students.
- Special programs, like our Study in the States courses, open only to honors students.
- The Lee Honors College Building—our LEED silver certified facility that includes honors advising offices, a library, classroom space and a full kitchen and lounge for students to relax, socialize and study.
- Nationally- and internationally-known expert faculty mentors who will work with students on their honors thesis, an original piece of research or creative activity.
- Honors housing, Peer Student Success Team, Lyceum Lecture series, national honor societies, scholarships and more!
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Education and Human Development majors
- Criminal Justice
- Freshwater Science Sustainability
- Healthcare Services and Sciences
- Political Science
- Public Health
- Social Work
- Sustainable Brewing
- University Studies
ARTICULATION AGREEMENTS WITH WMU
Our Articulation agreements ensure SMC students have a direct and clear graduation path for a number of specific majors at WMU. If your intended major is not listed, please connect with your WMU representative for further assistance.