Students studying an engineered car model.

Dual Enrollment Handbook

Use this handbook to help guide your success in the Western Michigan University Dual Enrollment program.

Academic Standing and Advising

As a dual enrolled student, you will receive the same treatment as any undergraduate student at Western Michigan University. You must maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average in all dual enrolled courses. If your overall GPA drops below a 2.0, the University will warn you that you are on academic probation via email and you will have one semester to show improvement. Failure to improve academic standing will result in automatic academic dismissal from the University.

In addition to the University requirements, Early College Programs requires you to demonstrate academic success by maintaining a 3.0 GPA. If it drops below a 3.0, your Student Success Coach and Dual Enrollment administrators will work with you to create a plan for improvement.

  • Advanced Placement Exams

    If you are taking any Advanced Placement exams that might count as prerequisites for WMU courses, please have your exam scores sent to WMU. The code for Western Michigan University is 1902. If a course has a prerequisite and you believe that your AP exam score meets the requirement to give you credit for that course, then email Kimmy Beuchler (include your WIN, the course you are interested in, and a copy of your AP score report).

  • Continuing Dual Enrolled Students

    Students in good academic standing do not need to reapply each semester. You are required to submit a new third-party billing authorization form to your designated school official when you register for courses each semester.

  • Advising Help

    Dual enrolled students have full access to all WMU advising services. For academic questions, including choosing courses that fit your goals, we have a dedicated team to help guide you in your academic needs and interests. Please contact Kimmy Beuchler to be connected with an WMU advisor.

     Students are able to drop a course without consequence in the first week of a semester. Check the WMU Academic Calendar to see drop/add deadlines.

  • Student Academic Code and Conduct

    Are there behavior and learning expectations at the University?

    Yes, you have specific rights and must follow the Student Code of Conduct.

    Use Email for All Correspondence

    In order to maintain the integrity of the advising process, all advising by email needs to be done from the student’s WMU email address. This ensures that we are discussing the student with the student themselves and not a parent or someone else in the family. 

    To request a specific class or advice about taking a class, email the appropriate advising director from your WMU email address. Always include your WIN (Western Identification Number) and the course registration number (CRN) in your email. If you use a personal email account, you will be asked to email the advisor from your WMU account. If you are having difficulty logging into the WMU email system, contact the Help Desk at (269) 387-HELP.

    Professional Behavior

    The WMU Student Code "requires a student to become aware of, and abide by behavior standards of the University." You have freedom of expression and are expected to honor diversity and practice civility.

    Cheating and Plagiarism

    Plagiarism and cheating are academic violations. You should never use others’ work and present it as your own. If you are caught cheating or using others’ work without attribution, you may be removed from the University. The General University Policies section in the Undergraduate Catalog has a complete set of student rights and responsibilities.

Disability Services

The Center for Disability Services offers a range of services for students who have visual, hearing, or other learning challenges. 

Students with IEP and 504 Plans 

In college, you have to ask and give permission for support services. Your high school and University staff will work with you to set up accommodations.

  Back to top

FERPA Information

What is FERPA and how does it affect me?

When you attend college, your privacy and education rights transfer from your parents to you, the student, in accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. These FERPA rights protect the education records of students who are currently enrolled, regardless of age. WMU will not release any record from which you could be identified. For more information, see the WMU FERPA Policy page. 

Under FERPA, items designated as directory information may be released without your written consent. This includes your name, address, telephone number, WMU email address, and enrollment status. 

If you do not want directory information released, you must file a signed confidentiality form with the registrar's office. 

Non-directory information can be released only if you grant permission. This includes billing information, your grades, and GPA, or any other information that is not deemed as directory. 

To grant permission to a parent/guardian to access your non-directory information, follow the instructions found here

  Back to top

GoWMU and Bronco NetIDs

Your welcome email will include an informational document with your acceptance letter. The document will provide your unique Western Identification Number (WIN), your WMU email address, and Bronco NetID. In order to access your email and GoWMU, follow the directions to set your account password. If you need help doing this, the Help Hub can help you set or reset your password.


GoWMU Account:

What is GoWMU?

Your GoWMU account gives you access to University student services. You should set up your account within a few days of admission to the university. Accessing GoWMU provides you with your email account, online courses, grades, university libraries and class schedule. You will also use it to pay any outstanding bills, get tech help, and much more. If you need help with your GoWMU portal, contact the Help Desk at (269) 387-4357.

WMU Bronco Card

The Bronco Card is your photo identification card for Western Michigan University. It is your access card for the university libraries and the computer centers around campus, as well as security access for some buildings on campus. The Bronco Card also enables you to ride Metro Bus Service on any route around the Kalamazoo area for free.

Your first Bronco Card is free. Replacing your Bronco Card incurs a $30 fee. Directions to have a Bronco Card created can be found here.



A permit to park is required between 2 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and between 2 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Friday. Accessibility, 30-minute spaces, 15-minute spaces, designated reserved spaces, tow zone and "not parked in a marked space" infractions are enforced 24 hours a day. If your classes are virtual or outside of this time range, you do not need a parking permit.

Parking permits may be obtained for a special rate of $60 per semester. Students should stop into the parking services office (2507 W Michigan Ave) or call (269) 387-4609. Advise the staff that you are a dual-enrolled student. The information needed for a virtual permit is the license plate number with state and vehicle make, model, and color. Permits must be paid for at the time of purchase by cash, check (if in person), or credit card (MasterCard, Visa, and Discover, in person and over the phone). All open or unpaid WMU tickets must be paid before a permit may be obtained or purchased. Online service for dual-enrolled students is not available.

All motor vehicles, including motorcycles and mopeds, parked on Western Michigan University property must be registered with the Parking Services office and shall properly display a WMU parking sticker or parking permit.

Dual-enrolled students may not park at meters; most of the meters are for the exclusive use of visitors.  The permit may be used by the dual-enrolled student only. Violations or misuse of the dual enrolled parking permit may result in fines, loss of parking privileges, and/or impounding the vehicle.

Please contact the Parking Services Office at (269) 387-4609 with any questions or concerns.


WMU Services

As a WMU student, you have access to the following services:

  • Bronco Transit (on-campus bus transportation)
  • Computer labs on all campuses
  • Discounts at many businesses in the Kalamazoo area
  • Discounts for shows at Miller Auditorium
  • Elearning
  • Free admission to athletic events
  • WMU Libraries, both on-campus and online


Online Learning: How do I access my online course?

You can access your online content by logging into GoWMU and clicking on the Elearning icon, or go directly to the Elearning website.

On your Elearning home page, you can access links to order textbooks, check out books from the library, get tech help, and other how-to information. Your instructor will also post course content in Elearning.

  Back to top


If you feel you are being mistreated or are in jeopardy of mistreatment, immediately call 911. In a non-emergency situation, you may also inform any staff member. We want this to be a safe environment for you; always contact a staff member of the college if you feel threatened in any way.

WMU takes student safety very seriously. There are people and systems in place to listen to you and find solutions. Use the following resource links to access University safety resources:

Snow Days and Closures

How will I know if my classes are canceled?

Check the WMU website for closure announcements.

WMU will also send out email, phone, and text notifications as well as inform the local media.

If your local school is closed and your class is held at your school, then your class is canceled. If your class is held on a WMU campus, your class will still be held if WMU has not closed. If you are still unsure, email your instructor.

  Back to top


Tuition and Fees

Students who dual enroll either attend classes on main campus, regional campuses, fully online or at your school. Depending on the particular arrangement with your school, you may be paying full tuition, partial tuition, or no out-of-pocket cost at all. Check with your dual enrollment coordinator and Student Success Coach to find out how it works at your school.

Books and Course Fees

Check with your school’s dual enrollment coordinator or Student Success Coach to see if your school pays for textbooks and course fees. Occasionally, students may be responsible for part or all of these costs.

Your syllabus will list your required texts for a course. Visit the WMU Bookstore to rent or purchase books and course packs. 


Tax Form 1098-T

Why did my family receive a Federal Form 1098-T in the mail?

The Federal tax Form 1098-T is sent to WMU students electronically or by mail by late January each year. For more information, go to WMU Bronco Express or to IRS Publication 970 for more about education deductions. Your tax software or preparer will advise you on how to input your tax information. You can also call Bronco Express at (269) 387-6000 to access your Form 1098-T.

  Back to top