We recognize that families provide a great deal of financial and emotional support to their children while they are students at WMU. However, we must balance this recognition with the fact that WMU students are legally adults and their legal rights must be fully respected, particularly with concern to their privacy rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
WMU students have the ability to grant access to third-party individuals to view certain academic and financial aid information. In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, student financial and academic records may not be shared with a third party without written consent.
There are two types of third-party access available:
Authorized User for Accounts Receivable
This access allows a student to give users access to view their WMU Billing account and make payments. Because of the payment options, this account requires a separate username and password. Instructions to create an authorized user for viewing bills and making payments can be found on the Accounts Receivable page.
Proxy User for Academic and Financial Aid
This access, also known as "Proxy Access", allows the student to give their parent or other third party user access to view the following academic and financial aid information:
- Enrollment Verification
- Midterm Grades
- Final Grades
- Concise Student Schedule
- Schedule of Classes
- Unofficial Transcript
- Financial Aid Requirements
- Financial Aid Award for Aid Year
- Financial Aid Payment Schedule
Please note: Information can only be viewed, not edited. In order to grant authorized user access to financial aid information, students must voluntarily consent to participate in electronic transactions. Students can modify or cancel their electronic authorization and consent at any time by contacting Bronco Express.
Granting access to academic and financial aid award information
Log in to goWMU with your Bronco NetID and password at go.wmich.edu. You can find proxy information (including how to grant access and log in) by using goWMU’s search bar. Simply search “proxy", click the https://go.wmich.edu/s/article/Proxy-UserView-Academic-Financial-Aid-Information article and follow the appropriate prompts.
Once you have added the proxy user, you now add a relationship type and select the information you would like to grant.
- The Proxy Management page displays the user information.
- Click on the yellow arrow to expand the user.
- On the Profile tab, select the relationship (Parent/Legal Guardian or Other).
- Add an optional description. The second email ("Updated Proxy Relationship") is sent.
- Set the start and stop date for the Access.
- Select the Authorization Tab and enter a check mark next to those items which you want to allow the proxy user to view.
- Click the email Authorizations button to send your proxy user a copy of their authorizations. The third email ("Updated Proxy Access Authorizations") is sent.
- Collapse the proxy by clicking on the yellow arrow.
- Choose EXIT located in the upper right corner to close the browser.
Logging into the system for the proxy user:
To access the information granted by the student(s), go to https://bssp3.cc.wmich.edu/PLS/BPROD/bwgkprxy.P_ProxyLogin
- Enter the email address of the proxy user used to create the account.
- Enter the temporary PIN, a new PIN and then the new PIN again (following the guidelines given).
- Choose Login.
- Forgotten PINs can be reset by choosing “Forgot PIN”.
- A web page link will be sent to the email address provided.
Alternately, the student can reset the PIN using the Reset PIN link on their Proxy Profile, in which case the proxy user will be notified by email.
In the event that the proxy user needs to change their email address, they log in to the system with the registered email address and then change the information on the profile page.