The federal government and the University have modified numerous regulations and policies to assist students called to active duty. Students that are called up to active duty status will need to pay immediate attention to a number of academic, financial and record concerns prior to their departure from campus.
Students should request to drop all classes with the VA Certifying Official for a 100 percent tuition refund or—depending on the time of the semester—meet with the professors to discuss mutually agreeable arrangements for the completion of missed assignments or the possibility of receiving an incomplete in the courses. When an incomplete is granted in this situation, the student will have two years to make up the work and remove the incomplete grade.
There will be no penalty imposed for terminating the housing contract prior to the end of the term. The refund will be calculated based on the time remaining in the semester or session.
A 100 percent refund of parking fee is available, but the student will need to provide as much of the parking sticker as possible. A refund will not be provided if a sticker is not submitted.
The Bookstore will provide a 100 percent refund on returned books.
Please contact Financial Aid. Per federal government regulations, administrative forbearance and deferment benefits are available for active duty call-up status.
- A single point of contact has been established at the Registrar’s Office to assist with deployment.
- A copy of the activation papers is required from the student.
- The student needs to contact the Registrar’s Office and submit their paperwork.
- The Registrar’s Office is responsible for providing the student with pertinent information about potential refunds, academic effects, and overall impact.
The Registrar’s Office is also responsible for ensuring enrollment is adjusted, VA certification is terminated, and for maintaining a list of all activated students.
- The Registrar’s Office maintains a list of students who request incomplete grades and enters a comment on the student's academic record.
If there is no financial aid, Accounts Receivable will process a refund for any remaining credit balance. For Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits paid, that credit balance will be held pending VA determination of overpayment.
If there is financial aid, the Financial Aid office will review your status and may adjust your financial aid accordingly. If a credit balance remains, Accounts Receivable will process a refund. For Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits paid, that credit balance will be held pending VA determination of overpayment.
Please contact the VA Certifying Official at (269) 387-4115 for assistance.