Degree Works is a web-based tool that helps students and advisors monitor a student's progress toward degree completion. Degree Works compares Western Michigan University's degree requirements with coursework completed. It provides an easy-to-read worksheet that shows students how courses they have taken count toward degree requirements. Degree Works also clearly identifies courses and requirements still needed to complete a degree.
- If you are not already, login to GoWMU.
- From the Faculty/Staff Home tab
- Expand the All Links header
- Complete the Degree Works form. Upon submitting the form it will be automatically routed to your supervisor for approval then to the appropriate security officer. You will be notified after each step is completed by email along with account login information.
Degree Works is available for undergraduate students beginning with the 2010-11 catalog year. Degree Works is designed to aid and facilitate academic advising but is not intended to replace face-to-face advising sessions.
- Uses checklists to easily monitor a student’s progress
- Provides a clear picture of WMU degree requirements to help students navigate the most effective path to graduation
- Helps students plan their class schedules by showing what courses and requirements are still needed
The student plans feature allows students and advisors to create a long-term academic plan containing a list of recommended courses for the student to take and the sequence and term in which they are to be taken. An audit can be run against the plan to see if it will lead the student successfully to graduation.
A notes feature allows advisors to use predefined or personalized notes to help track conversations with students and document any action that has been agreed upon. Notes may be viewed by all advisors, which will be helpful should the student decide to switch their program of study.
Students and advisors are able to click on a course still needed in their audit and a window will open listing the course description and sections of that course that are being offered in an upcoming semester. The student will be able to see the CRN for each section, open seats in real-time and the days and times the course is being offered.
The what if feature allows students to see how changing their major or minor will impact their progress to degree completion.
Three different GPA calculators are available in Degree Works: graduation, term, and advice. The calculators will help students set realistic goals at the beginning of the semester, or provide a path for achieving honors, avoiding probation or meeting personal academic goals.
The look-ahead feature allows students to enter a list of classes and see where they might apply to the degree audit. It is a great tool to use as part of the registration process. Students can see how a course will be used before they actually register for it.
Student Academic Plans
The Degree Works plans feature allows advisors to create, view and save sequenced semester academic plans for students. Creating a plan for students will help them plan for registration and help lead them successfully to graduation.