As a user with privileges to a secure student information system you have access to data pertaining to WMU faculty, staff and students. As a user entrusted with access you are to become familiar with and agree to abide by these policies.
All data viewed, modified or retrieved via a University data system is only for the use of University faculty and staff doing the work of the University. Any other use or disclosure of this information is strictly prohibited.
To begin, log in with your Bronco NetID and password at go.wmich.edu.
- Click the "Apps" navigation item in the top menu bar.
- Scroll down to the "For faculty and staff" app list and select the "Faculty/Advisor Self-Service" link. If you are a student and do not have the "For faculty and staff" app list, scroll down to the "For students" app list and select the "Academic Services for Students" link.
- Expand the "Personal Information" tab and click the "Student Information System Security Forms" link.
- Complete the appropriate form(s). For Banner access, use the Request Banner Admin Pages Access form. For Cognos, Degree Works and/or ImageNow user the Request Cognos, Degree Works or ImageNow Access form. Upon submission, the form will be automatically routed to your supervisor for approval, then to the appropriate security officer. You will be notified via email after each step is completed (along with account login information).
You can also find the request forms by using goWMU's search bar. Simply search “data access” and click the https://go.wmich.edu/s/article/Data-Access-Requests article.
Security access policies
- Confidential information policy—Governs the disclosure of confidential information held in any manner by employees of Western Michigan University. This policy is found in Section 9 of the Employee Handbook.
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act—Federal law that governs and protects students' rights to their individual education records.
- Social security number protection policy—Social security number field in SIS—also known as Banner—is masked. Only personnel who need access to this field as a function of their duties are granted access. The policy document is found in the Policy and Procedures Manual, Section 21 and explains responsibilities in detail.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act—WMU is required by federal law to provide a Notice of Privacy Practices describing how health information that is maintained about you by the Western Michigan University Group Health Plan may be used or disclosed. This policy is found in Section 20 of the Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Freedom of Information Act—Requests for data from outside WMU must go to the FOIA officer.
- Identity theft prevention—All staff with access to identifying information must be familiar with and comply with these rules.
- WMU policy on using mobile computing devices—This policy is necessary to protect the confidentiality, availability and integrity of Western Michigan University and university affiliates' information while stored, transmitted or processed on mobile computing devices or personal digital assistant devices.