Legal Name Change

To change your legal name

Complete, notarize and return the affidavit form to the Office of the Registrar by mail or in person (faxed or emailed forms will not be accepted). You must include a copy of the legal documentation. If returning the form in person, please bring an updated ID along with a copy of the legal documentation.

Academic records at Western Michigan University are permanently maintained by student name. Students may maintain academic records under the name used at the time of admission, or they may change their legal name. Each name used at the University will remain on the student's permanent record. There is no requirement that a student must make a name change.

Legal proof is required:

  • Marriage license
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order specifying name change

Please note: Name changes will not be made for an inactive student.