Western Michigan University's Senior Citizens' Opportunity Program in Education offers persons age 62 or older the opportunity to register for one class each semester or session tuition-free. Tuition is waived, but parking fees, books and any special course fees will be assessed.
Qualified candidates must submit an admission application. Applications differ depending on your level of study. Undergraduates would apply online and graduates would submit the graduate SCOPE application. The admission application fee is waived. After enrolling:
- Participants may register in one regularly scheduled class each semester or session on a seat-available basis. Once registered, SCOPE students cannot change their registration except to drop or withdraw.
- Permission from the department must be obtained prior to registering in courses that require department approval, prerequisites or have other restrictions which limit registration.
Specialized classes may not be made available to participants due to space availability.
- Registration is processed by the Registrar’s Office during the drop and add period.
- Registration for SCOPE students begins on the third day of the semester and ends on Census (Department Cleanup) day. See the academic calendars at https://wmich.edu/registrar/calendars/academic.
- SCOPE participants do not have access to services available to typical students, such as student discounts, on-campus housing, the Health Center and the Student Recreation Center. Special WMU identification cards are issued to SCOPE participants to allow access to the library and academic facilities necessary for class participation.
Students who wish to register for credit are not eligible for SCOPE.
TAXATION OF WAIVED TUITION
Total waived tuition received under the SCOPE program may be taxable for federal and state income tax purposes. Please consult with your tax advisor for further guidance.
Registering for a class
Please complete the form below. Note: You may be required to obtain department/instructor permission when classes have restrictions.
By submitting this form, I authorize the Registrar's Office to add a class to my schedule.