Fall 2021 Update: In accordance with CDC recommendations, and for the health of our staff and students, we are actively practicing social distancing and a new mask mandate has been put into effect for unvaccinated and vaccinated individuals in any WMU building. Our office will be open Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visit the University's COVID-19 website for updates.
Western Michigan University has a campus-wide commitment to academic rigor, service, inclusivity, collaboration, sustainability, and good stewardship of institutional resources.
Environmental and sustainability studies program
Environmental and sustainability studies programs include:
- A "coordinate" major in environmental and sustainability studies (students enroll as dual majors—environmental studies major and a second major of the student's choice).
- Western Michigan University and Northwestern Michigan College offering freshwater science and sustainability degree beginning fall 2014 semester.
- A minor in environmental and sustainability studies.
Environmental and sustainability studies
- Encourages students to develop a personally fulfilling, environmentally responsible way of living.
- Offers rigorous pre-professional training to prepare students for careers in a wide range of environmentally related fields.
- Offers sound academic standards and principles that continually challenge students to excel.
- Teaches concern for the long-term health and well-being of our planet.