Fall 2020 Update: In accordance with CDC recommendations, and for the health of our staff and students, we are actively practicing social distancing. Our office will be closed on campus, but phone lines and email will continue to be monitored Monday-Friday. Our office in Wood Hall, Suite 3900, will be open by appointment on Wednesdays, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visit the University's COVID-19 website for updates.
Western Michigan University has a campus-wide commitment to academic rigor, service, inclusivity, collaboration, sustainability and good stewardship of institutional resources.
Environmental and sustainability studies program
Environmental and sustainability studies programs include:
- A "coordinate" major in environmental and sustainability studies (students enroll as dual majors—environmental studies major and a second major of the student's choice).
- Western Michigan University and Northwestern Michigan College offering freshwater science and sustainability degree beginning fall 2014 semester.
- A minor in environmental and sustainability studies.
Environmental and sustainability studies
- Encourages students to develop a personally fulfilling, environmentally responsible way of living.
- Offers rigorous pre-professional training to prepare students for careers in a wide range of environmentally-related fields.
- Offers sound academic standards and principles that continually challenge students to excel.
- Teaches concern for the long-term health and well-being of our planet.