2018 -19 RECIPIENT
As recipient of the Emerging Scholar Award, Protacio join 20 faculty members who have received the accolade since it was established in 2006.Protacio was chosen from nominees across campus because of her role as investigator on the literacy motivation and engagement of English learners.
2018 fall convocation videos
The Emerging Scholar Award program was launched in late 2006 to acknowledge the accomplishments of WMU faculty members who are among the rising stars in the U.S. higher education. This award recognizes the scholarly or creative achievements of outstanding colleagues whose accomplishments are evidence of great potential for scholarship or creative work. Eligible faculty are all those current, continuing, full-time, Board-appointed, tenured persons with faculty rank and in good standing, who were tenured no earlier than January 2015. Untenured faculty members are ineligible.
Scholarship or creative activity may be artistic, historical, literary, philosophical, scientific or technical. Current scholarly/creative achievement shall demonstrate:
- Impact on the state of scholarship or advancement of knowledge in the discipline.
- Impact beyond the discipline or on the general public.
- Evidence of international professional recognition.
- Evidence of outstanding promise to achieve renown in continuing work,
Call for 2020-21 nominations will begin spring 2020.
ESA Nomination form
- Nominations may be made by any member of the University community. Self-nomination is acceptable. Include the ESA nomination page as the cover page.
- Nominations must comprise a current curriculum vitae and at least two letters of support, including one from outside the University. Nominators are asked to address specifically how the faculty member meets each of the criteria, and use appropriate headings to guide the reviewers. The letters should explain (a) the significance of the nominee’s research/creative achievements, in terms of impact on both the discipline and the general public and (b) why current scholarship/creative activity portends renown in continuing work. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.
- Complete nomination packets must compromise a curriculum vitae and letters of support in order to be accepted.
Submit electronically to: email@example.com
- 2018—Maria Selena O. Protacio
- 2017—Gellert Mezei
- 2016—Jessaca Spybrook
- 2015—Luigi Berto
- 2014—Fritz Allhoff
- 2013—Chris L.S. Coryn, Michael A. Famiano, Kristina Wirtz
- 2012—Jeffery Angles, Charles Henderson, Sherine Obare
- 2011—Eli Rubin
- 2010—Yirong Mo, Bilinda Straight
- 2009—G. Michael Grammer, Taskashi Yoshida
- 2008—Kuanchin Chen, Jennifer Machiorlatti
- 2007—Stephen Covell, Igor Fedotov, David Huffman
- 2006—Mitch Kachun, Carla M. Koretsky, Kirk T. Korista
Contact Tonya Dean with any questions regarding the Emerging Scholars Award.