We highly recommend contacting Sarah Anderson, the admissions manager for this program, before starting your application. She will help guide you through the process.
WMU uses an online graduate application system where you will submit all required information - this includes general information for the University, and information specifically required for this program. You will be asked to include some program-specific information and to follow the order shown in the CV template.
Please review the summary of the Ph.D. program requirements. You may want to bookmark this page for quick reference while working through the application process.
- Primary application deadline is Jan. 15.
- Secondary application deadline is June 1.
- Our cohorts start during the summer II session on even years.
|Cohort starts||Summer II 2024||Summer II 2026||Summer II 2028|
|Primary application deadline||Jan. 15, 2024||Jan. 15, 2026||Jan. 15, 2028|
|Secondary application deadline||June 1, 2024||June 1, 2026||June 1, 2028|
- The primary admission application deadline is Jan. 15.
- Applicants will be reviewed and scored based on their application form, CV, personal statement, letters of recommendation, GPA and transcripts. The GRE is not required.
- Selected applicants will be invited to a half-day interview session. Two or more faculty members will evaluate communication skills, career goals, research interests and educational readiness for doctoral study.
- Candidates for primary admission to the program will be notified in early March.
- All funds for doctoral assistantships are allocated during the primary admissions process. To be eligible for a DA, you must apply by the Jan. 15 deadline.
- International applicants are strongly advised to apply by the primary application deadline to allow for additional visa processing time.
- We select no more than three students from any one specialty in each cohort to ensure the interdisciplinary of the program.
If you apply after Jan. 15, you may be considered during our secondary admissions period. The secondary admissions application deadline is June 1. During this period, applicants will be notified as decisions are made.