Graduate Student Applications

Begin the application process by selecting the option below that's right for you.

Degree seeking

If you are seeking a graduate degree start here to review the application instructions and start your application.

Certificate program

Graduate Certificate Programs are non-degree programs that often compliment a vary of graduate degrees. They have specific course requirements, but do not lead to a master’s degree. Certificate programs (with the exception of the Specialty Program in Alcohol and Drug Abuse) are not eligible for financial aid. When completing the application, you must select Degree Seeking-New Applicant for the Application Type.


If you are seeking readmission to a graduate program in which you were previously admitted and enrolled, use this application.

Non degree

If you have a bachelor’s degree but are not planning to pursue a degree or graduate certificate program—or you are not eligible for admission to a degree or certificate program—use this application.

Certified teacher or administrator seeking continuing certification

If you are a certified teacher or school administrator seeking to take classes as needed for state certification and are not seeking to pursue a graduate degree at this time, use this application.

Senior citizens' opportunity program in education

Western Michigan University’s graduate Senior Citizens' Opportunity Program in Education offers persons, age 62 or older who have earned a bachelor’s degree, or higher, the opportunity to register for one graduate or undergraduate class each semester or session; tuition free*.

*Tuition is waived; however, parking fees and any special course fees will be assessed.