Tips for a successful career as a graduate student
1. Learn about WMU and our Community
- Visit campus for a tour or special event
- Review graduate programs
- Discover resources for graduate students, including childcare, health services and housing
- Explore the community of Kalamazoo, Michigan
2. Connect with Faculty
- Contact the academic department of interest to schedule a meeting with faculty
- Inquire into their research, funding and teaching opportunities
3. Apply for Admission and Submit Application Materials
- Submit a domestic online Application for Admission and provide supplemental application materials. International student application information is available here. Application requirements and deadlines vary by department.
- Request official transcripts be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or Western Michigan University, Graduate College, 1903 W Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5242 USA
- Test score codes: GRE code 1902, TOEFL code 1902
4. Receive Official Letter of Acceptance with Western Identification Number (WIN)
Use your WIN to access the student portal called GoWMU for:
- WMU email - all official University communications are sent to this account
- Register for classes - use WIN to access online registration and direct questions to the department offering the course
- Online orientation - access information on student resources (or elearning.wmich.edu)
- Responsible Conduct of Research – a mandatory online course for all newly admitted degree-seeking graduate students. No cost or credit is attached to this course.
5. Pay for College
- Identify potential funding opportunities
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) beginning October 1 for the upcoming year. Most students qualify for some type of financial aid, so be sure to submit your FAFSA early. The WMU Student Financial Aid Application Checklist is available for your reference and WMU's school code is 002330.
- Learn about our deferred payment plan for those with company reimbursement benefits.
Printable versions of this checklist