Application Types

Graduate Student Application Types

Start your graduate application

Accelerated Graduate Degree Program

Accelerated Graduate Degree Programs (AGDP) allow the current WMU student to apply up to 12 credits towards both their undergraduate and graduate degrees but at the undergraduate rate, saving both time and money. To apply, go to the Graduate Application Portal, choose the Degree-Seeking graduate application, then choose the accelerated option to apply to an accelerated program. For example, History - MA Accelerated. See the current list of available Accelerated Graduate Degree Programs.

Degree Seeking

Choose this option if you are seeking a master’s, specialist or doctorate graduate degree. Review the specific program requirements and start your application.

Certificate Program

Graduate Certificate Programs are non-degree certifications of focused study in specific disciplines. It should be noted that one program, the Alcohol and Drug Abuse certificate is eligible for financial aid, whereas other certificate programs are not eligible for financial aid. Review the specific program requirements and start your application.


If you are seeking readmission to a graduate program in which you were previously enrolled, you can select this option in the online application. If you are applying for a different graduate program, you must submit a new application to that program. Review the specific program requirements and start your application.

Graduate Non Degree Admission

If you have a bachelor’s degree and are not planning to pursue a degree or graduate certificate program, you can apply for non-degree seeking status to take classes. Non-Degree status may limit both your course selection and financial aid options. Contact the department in which you wish to take a course regarding any course restrictions for non-degree students. Please note that acceptance for non-degree does not constitute admission to a WMU graduate program.  Start your application

Certified Teacher or Administrator Seeking Continuing Certification

If you are a certified teacher or school administrator seeking classes for state certification and are not seeking to pursue a graduate degree at this time, you can review the specific program requirements and start your application.

Senior Citizens' Opportunity Program in Education (SCOPE)

WMU’s graduate Senior Citizens' Opportunity Program in Education (SCOPE) offers persons, age 62 or older who have earned a bachelor’s degree (or higher), the opportunity to register for one graduate or undergraduate class each semester or session, tuition free. Participants may register in one regularly scheduled class each semester or session on a seat-available basis. Specialized classes may not be made available to participants due to space availability. Registration is processed by the Registrar’s Office during the drop and add period (first week of classes). Students who wish to register for credit are not eligible for SCOPE. SCOPE participants do not have access to services available to typical students, such as student discounts, the Health Center and the Student Recreation Center. Parking fees and any special course fees will be assessed. Special WMU identification cards are issued to SCOPE participants to allow access to the library and academic facilities necessary for class participation.

Qualified candidates must submit an admission application using the online application.

International Student Applications

International Students should visit International Admissions and Services for application information. You are considered an international applicant if:

  • You are not a U.S. Citizen or dual citizen with a U.S. passport 
  • You are not a U.S. Permanent Resident (U.S. Permanent Residents have a 1-551 Permanent Resident Card or Green Card) 
  • You are not an asylee or refugee living in the U.S. 
  • You are an undocumented non-citizen living in the U.S (This includes those with DACA status)

Start your graduate application


Annual security and fire safety compliance

Please note that the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act requires availability of the annual security and fire safety compliance document to prospective students, faculty and staff. You may request a hard copy version by calling (269) 387-5555.

The report includes campus security and personal safety information as well as crime prevention, fire safety, university police law enforcement authority, crime reporting policies, disciplinary procedures and other matters related to security and safety of campus. It also includes crime reporting statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Western Michigan University and on public property within or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.