Eligible graduate students may submit nomination materials for the 2017 Western Michigan University Dames Endowed Scholarship. First awarded in 1997 through an agreement between Western Michigan University and the WMU Women’s Association, the scholarship of $200 to $500 is offered to offset the cost of tuition, books, and/or fees. The scholarship will be offered on a competitive basis to exceptional graduate students who have demonstrated financial need.
- The nominee must have completed 15 graduate credit hours at the time of application.
- The nominee must be in good academic standing.
- The nominee must NOT have a WMU graduate appointment.
- The nominee must NOT have Third Party support. International governmental scholarships/funding and tuition remission by employers are two examples of third party support. Note: Federal Loans are NOT considered Third Party Support.
- Receipt of any of the following awards disqualifies students from consideration for the WMU University Dames Endowed Scholarship: Dissertation Completion Fellowship; Gwen Frostic Fellowship; Patricia Thompson Dissertation Award; Fulbright Scholarship; King Chavez Parks Future Faculty Fellowship; Thurgood Marshall or Graduate Education for the Professoriate Fellowship.
Application Materials and Instructions:
Students must complete and present all requirements of this application in the order presented below.
A. The Western Michigan University Dames Endowed Scholarship Application Form
B. Nominee's Curriculum Vitae (CV)
C. Letter of Nomination from the student’s department chair OR unit director OR graduate advisor OR faculty member. The letter should include all information relevant to the student’s candidacy/qualifications for this award: student’s current enrollment status, financial need, and any information bearing on the student's fitness for the award. This letter should be submitted on University letterhead and signed by nominator.
IMPORTANT: Letters of Nomination are to be given directly to the Nominee so that he/she may submit the entire application packet together in one, single PDF. PLEASE DO NOT SEND LETTERS OF NOMINATION SEPARATELY.
D. Checklist (see page 1 of Application)
Submission Instructions: Please assemble ALL materials (Dames Endowed Scholarship Application; CV; Letter of Nomination; Checklist) into ONE, SINGLE PDF FILE AND SEND ELECTRONICALLY ONLY TO email@example.com by no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, October 20, 2017. Please do NOT send applications to Dr. Di Pierro.
Label the PDF document as follows: Application-2017 DAMES-Student’s First and Last Name. Repeat this information in the Subject Heading of your email.
Next application deadline and other information:
- Friday, October 20, 2017, 5 p.m. (EST)
- Notifications of status will be sent within six weeks of deadline for submission.
- Questions or Concerns? Contact Dr. Marianne Di Pierro, Program Manager Graduate Student Research and Retention, at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone: (269) 387-8249