Western Michigan University Graduate College Patricia Lee Thompson Dissertation Award
The Patricia Lee Thompson Dissertation Award is awarded annually to assist with dissertation completion. Award monies may be used for any costs associated with dissertation completion. The successful applicant will be within one year of completion of the dissertation.
Nominees must have a Dissertation Proposal Approval Form (Please do not submit the proposal) and a Doctoral Candidacy Form filed with the Graduate College, and must (a) be in good academic standing; (b) be an enrolled WMU graduate student; (c) have met the residency requirement, (d) if applicable: be enrolled full time in two consecutive semesters in an academic year; enrollment in both summer sessions is equivalent to one semester; (e) demonstrate progress toward degree completion; (f) have completed successfully all comprehensive examinations; and (g) have completed all required course work for their doctoral degree.
Up to $1,000
Applications for this current award cycle are due March 1, 2019, no later than 5 p.m. Guidelines for the application process:
Access the online application here: Patricia Lee Thompson Dissertation Award application
Letter of Nomination
IMPORTANT: A Letter of Nomination must be emailed by the student's dissertation advisor or the department/graduate program advisor or the department chair, on university letterhead. The letter should also include the name of ONE additional faculty member who may be contacted during the application process. Send it directly to email@example.com in PDF format by the application deadline.
The Letter of Nomination must clearly address the following elements:
- The student's name and the name of the fellowship
- Please ensure the student is currently enrolled
- Indicate the likelihood that the student will complete the dissertation within or by the following time period: Fall 2019 - Summer II 2020
- Significance of the dissertation research as it is situated in the respective discipline
- The student’s academic/scholarly accomplishments
- The scholarly scientific promise of the student
- Any other elements that will distinguish the student’s nomination
Page updated: Jan 18, 2019