Western Michigan University Graduate College Patricia Lee Thompson Dissertation Award
The Patricia Lee Thompson Dissertation Award is awarded annually to assist with dissertation completion. Award monies may be used for any costs associated with dissertation completion. The successful applicant will be within one year of completion of the dissertation.
Application is closed
Guidelines and Eligibility Criteria:
Nominees must have confirmation of candidacy. The designation of “candidacy” means that students have an approved dissertation committee; approved dissertation proposal; completed all courses and program requirements, with the exception of the dissertation; completed all research tools; completed all qualifying or comprehensive examinations. Nominees must (a) be in good academic standing; (b) be an enrolled WMU graduate student; (c) have met the residency requirement, (d) if applicable: be enrolled full time in two consecutive semesters in an academic year; enrollment in both summer sessions is equivalent to one semester; (e) demonstrate progress toward degree completion; (f) have completed successfully all comprehensive examinations; and (g) have completed all required course work for their doctoral degree.
Up to $1,000
Letter of Nomination
IMPORTANT: A Letter of Nomination must be uploaded to InfoReady by the student's dissertation advisor or the department/graduate program advisor or the department chair, on university letterhead. (Instructions will be emailed to the individual you identify in your InfoReady application.) The letter should also include the name of ONE additional faculty member who may be contacted during the application process.
The Letter of Nomination must clearly address the following elements:
- The student's name and the name of the fellowship
- Please ensure the student is currently enrolled and has candidacy status/approved dissertation project
- Indicate the likelihood that the student will complete the dissertation within or by the following time period: Fall 2020 - Summer II 2021
- Significance of the dissertation research as it is situated in the respective discipline
- The student’s academic/scholarly accomplishments
- The scholarly scientific promise of the student
- Any other elements that will distinguish the student’s nomination
If you have questions about the application process for this award, please contact Diana Berkshire-Hearit.
Page updated: August 2020