Graduate Student Research Grants (2020-2021)
The Graduate Student Research Grants are established to support graduate students engaged in independent scholarly research, scientific inquiry, inventive technology and artistic/creative activity. WMU graduate students may receive a maximum of two Research Grants, or two Travel Grants, or one of each grant type at these degree levels: master’s, specialist. Doctoral students may receive a maximum of three Research Grants or Travel Grants, or a combination of both, up to three total.
Fall 2020 award cycle: Oct. 28, by 5 p.m.
The online application will be available soon
Note: The typing of theses, dissertations, and project paper, as well as the purchase of computers or supplies and equipment commonly provided by departments or by other existing grants or funds do not qualify as a legitimate budget expense under a GSRG.
Grants range up to $1,000
WMU graduate students must be:
- Admitted to a graduate degree program
- In good academic standing (3.0 GPA)
- Enrolled full time in the semester that the application is made (one credit hour only if at dissertation/thesis hours)
- The individual responsible for the research described in the project, but for the purposes of research compliance, listed as the student investigator
Guidelines for the application process
- Access the online application for the Graduate Student Research Grants here (in late Dec. 2019): Graduate Student Research Grant Application Winter 2020
- In addition to this online application, applicants are REQUIRED to have an advisor or another faculty member familiar with your project write a Letter of Support for your project and upload it in InfoReady (instructions will be emailed to the individual you identify as writing the Letter of Support). The letter must clearly address the following elements:
- Student's name
- The purpose that the letter of support is for an application for a Graduate Student Research Grant
- The significance of the project
- The feasibility of completing it in the stated time frame with the requested resources
- The applicant’s qualifications for carrying out the project.
- Department fund and cost center number.
Future Award Deadlines
- Fall 2020
- Winter 2021
- Spring 2021
If you have questions about the application process for this award, please contact Diana Berkshire-Hearit.