From 2013 to 2015, Western Michigan University conducted a study of the staff compensation system for all professional, administrative, clerical and technical employees. A new compensation system was launched on July 1, 2015.
The compensation project team was comprised of campus representatives and was led by consultants from Aon Hewitt.
The project was divided into two phases. An overview of each phase is available via the links below.
At key points throughout the project, representatives from Human Resources and Aon updated the campus community at town hall meetings. Presentation slides and video from these town hall meetings are available below.
- Staff Compensation Study, November 2014 (Presentation by Aon Hewitt, Nov. 5, 2014).
- Staff Compensation Study, May 2015 (Presentation by Aon Hewitt, May 19, 2015).
- Staff Compensation Project Update, May 2016 (Town Hall Meeting, May 10, 2016).
Aon recommends a regular process to recalibrate a compensation system to market, typically every two to five years based upon market pressure and resources. Upon launch of the new compensation system, WMU decided upon and communicated a four-year time frame for conducting a "market recalibration" of the system in 2018-19. Please see Staff Compensation System: Market Recalibration for details about this project.
- Administrative guidelines. For the most recent version of the SCS administrative guidelines please visit Staff Compensation System.
- Job evaluation matrix for Administrative and Clerical Support Positions.
- Job evaluation matrix for Marketing Positions.
- Job content tool.
- Job title guidelines.
- Job title groups.
- New grades and titles, effective July 1, 2015. For an updated list of Staff Compensation System grades and titles, please visit Staff Compensation System.
- Questions and answers about the compensation project.
- Questions and answers about the job content tool.
- Staff Compensation Study: Western Michigan University, Project Plan Phase II.
- Staff Compensation System Pay Structure, Effective July 1, 2015. For more recent versions of the pay structure, please visit Staff Compensation System.
- Working title request form.