KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Western Michigan University will observe Martin Luther King Jr. Day with no classes on Monday, Jan. 15. Additionally, many offices will be closed or operating on reduced hours Monday. Classes resume and all offices resume normal hours Tuesday, Jan. 16.
Several public events and activities honoring the life and legacy of the slain civil rights leader are scheduled throughout the weekend and Monday. A schedule of events can be found at wmich.edu/mlk.
Office closings apply to non-represented University employees. Many represented employees are contractually scheduled to work Monday, Jan. 15, since the University continues to provide services during the recess. Represented employees should direct questions to their management.
MLK Day recess hours for WMU offices
Listed below are hours for selected University offices and services. Faculty, students and the public are encouraged to call ahead to make sure that a particular office on campus is open. For emergencies only, contact WMU Public Safety at (269) 387-5555.
- Many offices, including Admissions, Bronco Express, financial aid, First-Year Experience programs and all University academic advising offices are closed Monday, Jan. 15.
- Most building services, offices and mall stores for the Bernhard Center and Bronco Mall will be closed Monday, Jan. 15. Bronco Mall merchants will have normal or reduced hours, except PNC Bank, which will be closed. The WMU Bookstore will also be closed.
- Bernhard Center computer lab will close at midnight on Sunday, Jan. 14, and re-open at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 16.
- University Computer Center lab will be closed Monday, Jan. 15.
- The Help Desk will be closed Monday, Jan. 15.
- The Mobile Help Desk will be closed Sunday and Monday, Jan. 14-15.
- Sindecuse Health Center and its pharmacy will be closed Monday, Jan. 15. When the Sindecuse Health Center is closed, medical emergencies should be referred to local hospitals or other health-care providers.
- Student Recreation Center is open reduced hours, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday, Jan. 15, and there will be no open swim.
- Unified Clinics is closed Monday, Jan. 15.
- Waldo Library will close at midnight Sunday, Jan. 14, and remain closed Monday, Jan. 15. The Swain Education, Maybee Music and Dance, and Archives libraries are also closed Monday.
To reduce energy costs during the recess, heating and cooling systems in all classroom buildings controlled by the WMU Building Energy Management System will be in holiday mode. Air handlers will not run during this time unless a space is exempt from the program or the temperature in a particular space goes outside of the range of 60 to 85 degrees. Portions of a particular building that do not normally go into night setback mode will not go into holiday mode.
For more news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.