KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Except for essential services, all WMU campuses will close and there will be no classes starting at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 22, for the remainder of the day due to an ice storm in the area.
This article will be updated with special hours as information becomes available. Check the University's events calendar to confirm whether an event is canceled. Those who have posted items to the calendar are expected to update the event post to indicate whether the activity will continue as planned or is canceled.
- The Bernhard Center will close at 3 p.m.
- Dining Services—The Valley Dining Center will close at 8 p.m. All Campus Cafès, including Cafè 1903 and Late-night Carryout, will close at 1 p.m.
- University Libraries—Waldo Library, Zhang Legacy Center and Swain Library will close at 1 p.m.
- The Student Recreation Center will close at 1:30 p.m. All club practices as well as fitness and F45 classes are canceled. The intramural sports racquetball tournament has been rescheduled for Wednesday, March 1.
- WMU Busing—The Aviation shuttle is canceled today, Feb. 22.
- The Sindecuse Health Center pharmacy and clinic will close at 3 p.m. Any existing appointments after 1 p.m. can be cancelled without penalty.
WEATHER-RELATED UNIVERSITY CLOSINGS SINCE 1999
- 1999, Jan. 4-5—Heavy snowfall delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2000, Nov. 21-22—Thanksgiving recess began Tuesday because of snow.
- 2006, Dec. 1—An ice storm downed trees and caused power outages.
- 2007, Feb. 5—Extreme cold and snow closed many Michigan colleges.
- 2008, Feb. 1—WMU closed due to snow.
- 2009, Dec. 10—Blizzard conditions closed WMU.
- 2013, Jan. 31—Snow and icy conditions closed WMU.
- 2014, Jan. 6-7—Significant snowfall and expected severely cold temperatures prompted many Michigan colleges to close. The closure delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2014, Jan. 27—Snow and cold temperatures closed WMU.
- 2014, Nov. 18—Heavy snowfall closed WMU.
- 2015, Feb. 2—A widespread snowstorm closed WMU and many others schools around the state.
- 2016, Feb. 25—In an otherwise mild winter, a heavy snow accompanied by high winds closed WMU.
- 2018, Feb. 9—Severe winter weather prompted WMU to close at noon.
- 2019, Jan. 23—A mix of sleet, freezing rain and snow closed schools throughout the region.
- 2019, Jan. 28—A snowstorm covered the Kalamazoo area in several inches of snow and closed many schools throughout Michigan. The University closed campus at midday.
- 2019, Jan. 29—Severe weather prompted WMU to close at 5 p.m.
- 2019, Jan. 30-31—Snow and dangerously low temperatures due to wind chill prompted schools throughout the upper Midwest to close for two full days.
- 2019, Feb. 13—Freezing rain followed by heavy snow closed the University.
- 2022, Feb. 2—Rain turned to snow overnight, covering the Kalamazoo area in several inches of snow by midday.
- 2022, Nov. 18—A lake-effect snow storm dropped more than a foot of snow, causing the University to close campus early.
- 2022, Dec. 22—Impending severe winter weather and blizzard warning cause the University to close early on the final day before winter recess.
- 2023, Feb. 22—An ice storm hit southern Michigan and caused an early closure for the University.
- 2023, Feb. 23—For the second day in a row, an ice storm and power outages prompt Western and schools to close.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit WMU News online.