Falling largely within the analytic tradition, the Department of Philosophy at Western Michigan University takes seriously its dual mission of philosophical teaching and research. Offering a range of undergraduate courses and a terminal master's degree, WMU's program is recognized as one of the best master's programs in the United States and one of only a handful of programs mentioned in the Philosophical Gourmet Report.
We hope all of our WMU Philosophy students, alumni and friends are doing well out there. Classes have moved to distance learning for the near term, but please know that your faculty and staff are still working to do our utmost to provide the best possible learning experience for you under the circumstances. Learn more about distance education or learn tips and tricks about moving your course material online.
For all university-wide decisions and updates, please continue to check wmu.edu/covid19.
- Fritz Allhoff talks about the ethics of online shopping during the pandemic in an interview on NPR.
- 14th Annual Phil Grad Conference, November 20 - 21, 2020. Speakers: Julia Driver (University of Texas-Austin), Lawrence Shapiro (University of Wisconsin), Min Tang (University of North Carolina)
- Undergraduate Philosophy Major, Levi Durham, had his paper accepted at the University of Toronto's Graduate Philosophy Conference
- Graduate student CJ Oswald has his paper, "Being Realistic about Metaethics," accepted for the APA-Pacific.
- Levi Durham, a WMU Philosophy major, will be headed to the PhD program at Baylor University in the Fall!
- Congratulations to CJ Oswald for the WMU All University Award