The Student Sustainability Grant exists to support students and projects that promote a campus culture of sustainability. $100,000 is available annually to support student designed research and project grants. Grants are awarded through a blind-review process by undergraduate and graduate peers representing all seven colleges. There are very few programs that involve this level of student involvement - watch the video below for more information.
Proposals are due at 11:59 p.m. the Thursday before Thanksgiving (fall allocation) and 11:59 p.m. the Thursday before Spring Break (spring allocation). Appointments with the Office for Sustainability to discuss proposals should be scheduled six weeks prior to each semester deadline.
- Review previous grants.
- Find a faculty or staff adviser.
- Potential applicants are encouraged to submit an abstract and expected budget to receive guidance on how best to complete their applications.
- Applicants who wish to make any physical change to campus infrastructure should schedule an appointment with the Office for Sustainability to discuss what permissions will be needed to make these changes. This meeting should be scheduled at least six weeks before the application deadline.
- Submit the application to the Office for Sustainability through the online webform.
- If you have questions while you are completing your application, email email@example.com.
To assist grant authors in planning and grant proposal completion, all grant authors are encouraged to schedule a meeting with the Office for Sustainability at least six weeks prior to the application deadline. Additionally, any prospective proposals that might involve changes to university buildings or landscape, influence campus safety, or require research involving humans or animals require a consultation with WMU's Sustainability Project Manager at least six weeks prior to the submission deadline. This is a mandatory prerequisite for grant consideration. (See Section 4 of the SSG Handbook regarding Necessary Stakeholder Approvals for more information).
Every SSG recipient is required to provide a final report upon completion of the granted project. Please consider this while applying.