The Student Sustainability Grant (SSG) program supports student research, projects, and other activities that have the potential to advance our campus culture of sustainability. Funding is awarded twice per school year by a committee of students representing all colleges. Watch the 2017 video below for an overview and review this webpage for current SSG competition requirements. The fall semester deadline is Nov. 18, 2021.
Proposals are due at 11:59 p.m. the Thursday before Thanksgiving (Fall awards) and 11:59 p.m. the Thursday before Spring Break (Spring awards).
- Review previous grants.
- Find a WMU faculty or staff advisor.
- Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to submit an abstract and expected budget to the Office for Sustainability and make an appointment to discuss the application process at least 4 weeks prior to each semester deadline.
- Applicants who intend to modify university buildings or landscapes, add infrastructure to campus, influence campus safety, or conduct research involving humans or animals are required to consult with the Director of the WMU Office for Sustainability at least six weeks prior to the submission deadline. These types of proposals typically require technical reviews and pre-approvals by several campus specialists or committees. Budget proposals for infrastructure projects must include proposed funding or commitments from campus collaborators that address the costs of transport, installation, repair, maintenance, removal, and site restoration at the end of the service life of the infrastructure (e.g. covered bike shelter, rooftop solar panels, art installation, etc.). It may not be possible for these types of grant requests to meet the fall 2021 application deadline and achieve eligibility. Applicants seeking these types of grants should target the spring 2022 application deadline in order to maximize their planning time.
- Proposals must detail how research, projects, or activities will comply with all current University Covid 19 rules and regulations.
- Every grant recipient or team is required to provide a final report upon completion of the granted research, project, or activity.
- Complete and submit the application to the Office for Sustainability by email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions while you are completing your application, email the Office for Sustainability at email@example.com.