The Bicycle Resource Hub is the the Office for Sustainability’s clearinghouse for non-motorized transportation education, advocacy and policy efforts. This initiative has led workshops and community group rides, conducted non-motorized research and hosts a weekly Open Bike Shop.
Open Bike Shop hours are by appointment only. Appointments take place on Fridays from 10 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. To schedule your appointment, please call our office at (269) 387-0943 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to have our appointment scheduler back up and running soon!
Visitors will have the opportunity to repair their own bikes with the guidance of student mechanics. Tools and bike stands are available to use free of charge. The Open Bike Shop keeps small incidentals on-hand for a small fee (tubes, chains, brake pads, cable, housing) — all other parts or materials will need to be brought in by the visitor.
Inclusive Bike Ride
Join our student team on our weekly Inclusive Bike Ride every Friday starting promptly at 3:00 p.m. Our team will lead you around the city of Kalamazoo. Meet us at the Office for Sustainability located at 2529 W Michigan Ave (near WMU Parking Services). We will determine as a group how far and fast we ride each week. This opportunity is open to everyone, and is designed to be relaxing and enjoyable. Cancelations will be listed on our website.
Bike Rental — BroncoBikes
Students, we are renting out our entire bike fleet starting Friday, May 14, 2021. This summer BroncoBikes will still be free, but we have made a few changes to the program.
- We will only rent out BroncoBikes on Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on a first-come, first-served basis. For questions about availability, please visit our BroncoBike Live Count tool.
- There will be 7 BroncoBikes available for semester-long rentals. These bikes will be due back on Friday, August 13.
- There will be 2 BroncoBikes available for short-term rentals periods not exceeding two weeks.
- In order to maintain the accessibility of this program, return renters will not be given priority. Students will be allowed a maximum of two rentals during their time as a WMU student.
BroncoBikes is the Office for Sustainability's low cost, campus-wide bicycle rental program. It serves as a convenient and inexpensive way to ride to and from classes and get around Kalamazoo. With a BroncoBike, there is no reason to pay for gas, pay for car repairs, or wait around in traffic. The Breezer Uptown 8 BroncoBike is available in both step-through and step-over styles and features durable construction, kinetically powered front and rear lights, fenders and a super-smooth internal 8-speed hub. Students can make their commute to class or work more enjoyable and stress free.
- Rental bike is the Breezer Uptown 8. This bike has been awarded Bicycling Magazine's Editors' Choice for Best Commuter Bike for an unprecedented four years in a row.
- All bikes come with a Kryptonite U-Lock for secure storage.
- A helmet comes with a rental and is required for riding a BroncoBike.
- All renters are given a proper bicycle safety orientation and sign a liability waiver.
PAST BICYCLE RESOURCE HUB PROJECTS AND INITIATIVES INCLUDE:
- Best practice research to guide University policy and planning related to pathways, bike lanes, ingress/egress, signage, etc.
- Research on the viability of cargo bicycles and electric assist bicycles in place of motorized campus fleet vehicles.
- Implementation of a low cost, campus-wide bicycle rental program: BroncoBikes.