The Bicycle Resource Hub is the the Office for Sustainability’s clearinghouse for non-motorized transportation education, advocacy and policy efforts. This initiative has led workshops and community group rides, conducted non-motorized research and hosts a weekly Bike Shop for maintenance and repair.
Visitors will have the opportunity to drop off their bicycles to be repaired by student mechanics free of charge. The length of the drop-off depends on the bike's condition. The student mechanics will first look for used parts prior to purchasing anything new. Should the bike need new parts, visitors are expected to cover the cost of the new parts (tubes, chains, brake pads, cable, housing, etc.).
Buy used, buy local, buy Bikes
Our office is now selling bikes through Open Roads, a local non-profit youth development organization in Kalamazoo! Our office will have 4 to 6 refurbished bikes on-hand that are ready to find a new home. Each bike comes with a lock. This new initiative encourages non-motorized transportation on campus and the community. You can stop by our office to buy a bike during our business hours, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Inclusive Bike Ride
Join our student team on our weekly Inclusive Bike Ride every Friday starting promptly at 2:00 p.m. The summer rides will start Friday, May 6 and go until Friday, August 19, 2022. Our team will lead you around the city of Kalamazoo. Meet us at the Office for Sustainability located at 2529 W Michigan Ave (near WMU Parking Services). We will determine as a group how far and fast we ride each week. This opportunity is open to everyone, and is designed to be relaxing and enjoyable. Cancelations and updates will be listed on our website.
Bike Rental — BroncoBikes
Students, we have rented out our entire bike fleet for the summer semester.
BroncoBikes is the Office for Sustainability's low cost, campus-wide bicycle rental program. It serves as a convenient and inexpensive way to ride to and from classes and get around Kalamazoo. With a BroncoBike, there is no reason to pay for gas, pay for car repairs, or wait around in traffic. The Breezer Uptown 8 BroncoBike is available in both step-through and step-over styles. The bicycle features durable construction, kinetically powered front and rear lights, fenders and a super-smooth internal 8-speed hub. Students can make their commute to class or work more enjoyable and stress free.
- Rental bike is the Breezer Uptown 8. This bike has been awarded Bicycling Magazine's Editors' Choice for Best Commuter Bike.
- All bikes come with a Kryptonite U-Lock for secure storage.
- A helmet comes with a rental and is required for riding a BroncoBike.
- All renters are given a proper bicycle safety orientation and sign a liability waiver.
PAST BICYCLE RESOURCE HUB PROJECTS AND INITIATIVES INCLUDE:
- Best practice research to guide University policy and planning related to pathways, bike lanes, ingress/egress, signage, etc.
- Research on the viability of cargo bicycles and electric assist bicycles in place of motorized campus fleet vehicles.
- Implementation of a low cost, campus-wide bicycle rental program: BroncoBikes.