Please be advised that we are suspending all of our events, programmed activities, and volunteer hours now through April 30.
The Bicycle Resource Hub is the the Office for Sustainability’s clearinghouse for non-motorized transportation education, advocacy and policy efforts.
This initiative has led workshops and community group rides, conducted non-motorized research and hosts a weekly Open Bike Shop.
Visitors will have the opportunity to repair their own bikes with the guidance of student mechanics. Tools and bike stands are available to use free of charge. The Open Bike Shop keeps small incidentals on-hand for a small fee (tubes, chains, brake pads, cable, housing) — all other parts or materials will need to be brought in by the visitor.
Past Bicycle resource hub projects and initiatives include:
- Best practice research to guide University policy and planning related to pathways, bike lanes, ingress/egress, signage, etc.
- Research on the viability of cargo bicycles and electric assist bicycles in place of motorized campus fleet vehicles.
- Implementation of a low cost, campus-wide bicycle rental program: BroncoBikes.
Bike Rental — BroncoBikes
BroncoBikes is the Office for Sustainability's low cost, campus-wide bicycle rental program. It serves as a convenient and inexpensive way to ride to and from classes and get around Kalamazoo. With a BroncoBike, there is no reason to pay for gas, pay for car repairs, or wait around in traffic. The Breezer Uptown 8 BroncoBike is available in both step-through and step-over styles and features durable construction, kinetically powered front and rear lights, fenders and a super-smooth internal 8-speed hub. For just $75 per semester one can make their commute to class or work more enjoyable and stress free.
- Bike rental is $75 per semester (fall, spring, summer).
- Rental bike is the Breezer Uptown 8. This bike has been awarded Bicycling Magazine's Editors' Choice for Best Commuter Bike for an unprecedented four years in a row.
- All bikes come with a Kryptonite U-Lock for secure storage.
- A helmet comes with a rental and is required for riding a BroncoBike.
- All renters are given a proper bicycle safety orientation and sign a liability waiver.
- Bikes are available first come, first served each semester.