Transfer Credit

We understand that the way your credits transfer to WMU is one of the single-most important factors in your decision to become a Bronco. Below you will find resources to help you understand our credit equivalencies and transfer policies. Our Admissions Office provides an official course-by-course evaluation to each admitted transfer student approximately two to four weeks after admission. 

credit equivalencies     Transfer Guides      Articulation Agreements

how do credits transfer to wmu?

Academic work taken at another institution will transfer to WMU a number of ways.

  • Direct Equivalent - Transfer credit will be awarded direct department credit here at WMU. Example: A writing course from a previous institution can be granted ENGL 1050 at WMU. The evaluation will appear on your transcript as ENGL 1050 along with the number of credit hours for the course.
  • Departmental Credit - Transfer credit will be awarded departmental credit here at WMU. Example: A writing course from a previous institution can be granted ENGL credit here at WMU. The evaluation will appear on your transcript as ENGL along with the number of credit hours for the course.
  • No Credit - Transfer credit will be awarded as no credit either because the course itself was not transferable (nothing similar at WMU, accreditation issue, duplicate course) or because the grade earned was lower than a C. The evaluation will appear on your transcript as TUN NOCR.
  • Credit by Department Recommendation Only - Transfer credit will be awarded for department recommendation when a course must be reviewed by a specific WMU academic department prior to determining if and how the course might transfer. The evaluation will appear on your transcript as CBDRO. See note below for more information on the review process.

All incoming transfer students MUST meet with an academic advisor prior to course registration.  Your academic advisor(s) will maximize your transfer credits by utilizing direct equivalents and departmental credits for your degree.  For assistance with a course listed as CBDRO, students are encouraged to work with their academic advisor(s), as they can assist with identifying a contact person and appropriate department to request a review of the course(s) in question.  An official course description and/or syllabus will be required to ensure the best determination of credit. 

If the course is granted direct equivalency or departmental credit, the reviewer or an academic advisor will email the credit evaluators at to request the change in evaluation.  You will also be notified of this change.  Students with CBDRO work are encouraged to complete the review process soon after admission, as it could impact time to graduation.


Students who have fulfilled the requirements of the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) will have satisfied WMU's Essential Studies (WES) Levels 1 and 2. Such students need only satisfy Western's 6-hour requirement of WES level 3 course work. Students should consult their community college advisors to determine which courses meet these requirements at their respective colleges. Admitted students currently enrolled in course work that will apply to the MTA should send a final, updated transcript which denotes the completion of the MTA prior to enrollment. WMU will continue to honor students with the MACRAO endorsement as well.

Mitransfer pathways

The MiTransfer Pathways is a statewide multi-institutional degree pathway agreement that identifies courses that a student should take as a part of an associate degree that will transfer to the university of their choice toward a bachelor's degree. Please see below for a list of transfer pathways accepted at WMU. Transfer students are encouraged to complete the MTA along with the identified pathway courses.  Additional courses may be taken to apply toward the bachelor's degree and students are welcome to contact our program departments for further guidance. 

Transfer to WMU from one of Michigan's 28 community colleges! 

Visit Western's MiTransfer Pathway website for details.


WMU evaluates credits by examination when official test scores are sent to the Office of Admissions. Please review the policies regarding each type of test and the scores required for credit.

  • For College Level Examination Program credit consideration, send official CLEP score reports from the College Board to the WMU Admissions Office using our code, 1902.
  • For Advanced Placement credit consideration, send official exam scores to the WMU Admissions Office using our code, 1902.
  • For International Baccalaureate credit consideration, send an official IB transcript to the WMU Admissions Office.


Students should submit their documents for review during the application process. Admitted students will receive an evaluation of college and military credit approximately one week after being accepted. View our military credit checklist to learn more about the military transfer credit process.  

Transfer Credit Policies

  • WMU typically only accepts credit from institutions that are accredited by a regional accrediting agency, such as the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) or the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
  • Courses with less than a "C" (2.00) grade earned will not be considered for transfer credit.
  • For transferred courses, only the credit transfers; grades/GPAs do not transfer to WMU. Students' WMU GPAs will be based on courses taken at Western. 
  • There is no limit to the number of credits that can be transferred to WMU. However, students transferring from an accredited two-year institution must complete a minimum of 60 credit hours at an accredited four-year, degree-granting institution.
  • Students must complete a minimum of 30 hours through WMU. Ten of the last 30 hours must be taken through Western Michigan University (not through correspondence credit or credit by examination). Individual colleges and departments may have additional residency requirements.
  • In cooperation with community colleges, a student who transfers to WMU within three years upon leaving the community college may elect to graduate under the catalog year in which they began at the community college. 
  • Credits completed at an institution that is accredited by some other national or specialized program accreditor may only be accepted upon review and approval by faculty from the appropriate department(s) or areas of study.
  • Articulated credit and credit by examination awarded by other institutions is not considered for transfer credit. Transcripts from each institution and/or official exam scores must be provided so that WMU can complete our own evaluation. 
  • College credit from foreign institutions will be evaluated by the Haenicke Institute’s International Admissions Services Office. Credits are awarded on a course-by-course basis depending on the result.


WMU has partnered with many institutions to facilitate a smooth transfer process for students who begin their academic career at a community college. Transfer guides suggest specific course selections for students planning to pursue certain majors. They explain individual program requirements and pre-requisites.  Articulation agreements are formal documents signed by WMU and a partnering institution for specific pathways designed by major. Students should utilize these tools in coordination with their community college and WMU advising teams to take the shortest path to graduation with the lowest cost.