NOTICE - Due to COVID-19 concerns, many Western Michigan University department offices will be open limited hours and days during the summer sessions.
Summer II (7/1/21 - 8/27/21) Rood Hall Building Hours are 8 am - 5 pm on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; 8 am - 8 pm on Tuesday and Thursday. The building is accessible by swipe card on weekends.
The Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences is open virtually, Monday to Friday from 8 am - 5 pm.
Departmental offices are open in person for appointments and walk-in visitors, Monday to Friday from 8 am - 5 pm on the following schedule during Summer II:
- Mondays - Lisah Crall (Geological and Environmental Sciences), Rood Hall 1183, 269-387-5486
- Tuesdays - Liz Roe (Statistics), Everett Tower 3303, 269-387-1421
- Wednesdays - Lori Krum (Physics), Everett Tower 1122, 269-387-4941
- Thursdays - Sue Simons (Mathematics), Everett Tower 3318, 269-387-4513
- Fridays - Lisah Crall (Geological and Environmental Sciences), Rood Hall 1183, 269-387-5486
The physical address of Rood Hall is 2235 Wilbur Ave. In case of an emergency please dial 911.
IN THE NEWS
- Save the date! Our fall Advisory Council and Alumni and Friends Gathering will be on October 15 and 16. We are excited to welcome you back to the department in person for these events. Details will be posted on the Alumni page as they become available.
- We are excited to welcome Lisah Crall to the Geological & Environmental Sciences family! Lisah is our new office coordinator and program manager, taking on the position from Kathy Wright, who retired. We thank Kathy for her many years of dedicated service to the department and to WMU, and are raising funds in her honor through the Kathy Wright Endowment.
- The Dinosaur Park has welcomed a lot of visitors recently since we were featured in a story on the KzooKids website. Read the full WMU News piece on the park and our plans for the future! If you plan to visit the park, please use the metered parking at Sindecuse or Sangren to avoid getting ticketed in the staff/student lot adjacent to Rood.
- The department has suspended the GRE requirement for admission to our MS and PhD programs for students applying for entry between Spring 2021 and Fall 2022. For more information, please see information about our Graduate Programs or contact Dr. Peter Voice, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Our department is excited to announce a major in Environmental Geology open to students as of Fall 2020. For more information please see the program description or contact the departmental undergraduate advisor, Dr. Michelle Kominz.