NOTICE - Due to COVID-19 concerns, many Western Michigan University department offices will be open limited hours and days during the fall semester.
In response to the current MDHHS emergency orders, Rood Hall and Everett Tower department main offices are closed to in-person visitors from 11/18/20 to 12/8/20. We remain open virtually, Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. Please call or email one of the offices below for help with your questions.
From 12/9/20 until 12/23/20, departmental offices are open for in-person appointments Monday to Thursday from 9 am - 4 pm on the following schedule. Please call to schedule an appointment. We remain open virtually, Monday to Friday from 8 am - 5 pm.
- Mondays - Kathy Wright (Geological and Environmental Sciences), Rood Hall 1183, 269-387-5486
- Tuesdays - Liz Roe (Statistics), Everett Tower 3303, 269-387-1421
- Wednesdays - Lori Krum (Physics), Everett Tower 1122, 269-387-4941
- Thursdays - Sue Simons (Mathematics), Everett Tower 3318, 269-387-4513
All offices are fully closed during the WMU holiday recess beginning 12/24/20, reopening 12/4/21.
The physical address of Rood Hall is 2235 Wilbur Ave. In case of an emergency please dial 911.
IN THE NEWS
- The 2020 Departmental Newsletter is here! Please have a look to see what we have been up to in the past year.
- The Michigan Geological Survey was recently awarded $500,000 from Gov. Whitmer's state budget to support ongoing work including mapping geological resources and critical minerals, archiving specimens at the Michigan Geological Repository for Research and Education, tracing PFAS contamination, and understanding bluff erosion along Lake Michigan. Read the full story here.
- Congratulations to Dr. Robert LoPiccolo (MS 1972), the 2020 Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences Distinguished Alumni
- The department has suspended the GRE requirement for admission to our MS and PhD programs for students applying for entry between Spring 2021 and Fall 2022. For more information, please see information about our Graduate Programs or contact Dr. Peter Voice, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Our department is excited to announce a new major in Environmental Geology open to students as of Fall 2020. For more information please see the program description or contact the departmental undergraduate advisor, Dr. Michelle Kominz.