The Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences at Western Michigan University is determined to help you meet your academic goals and achieve a successful career. We highly encourage you to meet with your advisors at least once per year to plan your academic schedule. This helps in timely graduation and to tackle any difficulties. We highly value the time and resources invested by our students.
Are you unsure which geoscience major is right for you? Do you wonder about job opportunities corresponding to these majors? Please make an appointment with Dr. Duane Hampton.
The College of Arts and Sciences has a two-tiered advising system for undergraduates. Please consult your departmental and college advisors regularly to ensure that academic requirements are met.
Major and minor advising
The department provides major and minor advising through our faculty or staff expertise. Contact your advisor to schedule an appointment.
- Dr. Michelle Kominz: All programs, except earth science education and secondary integrated science education
- Dr. Peter Voice: Earth science education and secondary integrated science education
University and general education advising
The College of Arts and Sciences provides advising in:
Secondary education majors
- Meet with a geosciences advisor for major or minor requirements
- Meet with a College of Education and Human Development advisor for your general education, pre-professional and professional education requirements
Graduate students receive advising from:
- Dr. Peter Voice: All programs