The Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences at Western Michigan University is determined to help you meet your academic goals and achieve a successful career. We highly encourage you to meet with your advisors at least once per year to plan your academic schedule. This helps in timely graduation and to tackle any difficulties. We value the time and resources invested by our students and strive to meet your individual goals and needs.
The College of Arts and Sciences has a two-tiered advising system for undergraduates. Please consult both your departmental and college advisors regularly to ensure that academic requirements are met.
Major and minor advising
The department provides major and minor advising through our faculty or staff expertise. Contact your advisor to schedule an appointment.
- Not sure which major is right for you? Want more information on what career options are available in the geosciences? Tom Howe can help you.
- Dr. Michelle Kominz can assist you with all programs, except Integrated Science and the education track of the Earth Science major
- Dr. Peter Voice can assist you with the Integrated Science major and the education track of the Earth Science major
- Dr. Dan Cassidy can assist you with the undergraduate certificate program in Hydrogeology
University and WMU Essential Studies advising
The College of Arts and Sciences provides advising in:
- WMU Essential Studies requirements (Catalog years 2020-present)
- General education requirements (Catalog years 1996-2019)
- University graduation requirements
Students interested in secondary education teacher certification
- Meet with a College of Arts and Sciences advisor for pre-education pathway requirements (see MAT Pathway for WMU Undergraduates)
Accelerated masters advising
The department offers an accelerated MS Earth Science degree program, jointly advised by Dr. Michelle Kominz and Dr. Peter Voice.
- Undergraduate students interested in this program should schedule an appointment with Dr. Michelle Kominz prior to their junior year
Masters and doctoral advising
- Dr. Peter Voice provides advising for all MS and PhD students
- Please also see the 2022-23 Graduate Student Handbook