Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5241 USA
- Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2010
- M.S., Western Michigan University, 2005
- Quantitative sedimentology
- Provenance analysis
Dr. Peter Voice is a faculty specialist in the Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences at Western Michigan University. Voice teaches earth systems, historical geology, invertebrate paleontology, sedimentology, advanced stratigraphy, geomorphology, mineral deposits and ocean systems. Voice works as a research associate for the Michigan Geological Repository for Research and Education directing its K-12 Earth Science Outreach Program.
Voice uses numerical and statistical methods to understand large scale patterns in sedimentation. He has conducted research on carbonates and siliciclastics in Michigan and other states. His past research focused on the Global Detrital Zircon Database, which he used to look at the growth of continents over time. He also did provenance work using detrital zircons in Triassic rocks of southern Virginia. With all published detrital zircon U-Pb age dates prior to 2010, he was able to look at sedimentary records of crustal recycling and growth using this database.
Voice previously studied Burnt Bluff Group, a package of Lower Silurian carbonates ranging from deep shelf to emergent tidal flats. He used facies analysis, paleoecological data and stable isotopes to better interpret paleoclimate during deposition.
- Voice, P. J., Harrison, W. B., III, and Grammer, G. M. 2018, A reevaluation of the Burnt Bluff Group (Llandovery, Silurian, Michigan Basin) from Subsurface and Outcrop Data: Development of a Time-Transgressive Depositional Model, in Grammer, G. M., Harrison, W. B., III, and Barnes, D. A. (eds.), Geological Society of America Special Publication 531, Geological Society of America, Boulder, CO, p. 55-79.
- Harrison, W. B., III, and Voice, P. J. 2018, Evaporite facies of the Michigan Basin, in Grammer, G. M., Harrison, W. B., III, and Barnes, D. A. (eds.), Geological Society of America Special Publication 531, Geological Society of America, Boulder, CO, p. 197-216.
- Zimmermann, S.; Mark, C.; Chew, D.; and Voice, P. J. 2018, Maximizing data and precision from detrital zircon U-Pb analysis by LA-ICPMS: The use of core-rim ages and the single analysis Concordia age. Sedimentary Geology, v. 375: 5-13. Doi: 10.1016/j.sedgeo.2017.12.020.
- Voice, P. J. and Harrison, W. B. III 2014, Paleozoic Geology of the Central Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Michigan Basin Geological Society Summer Excursion Guide book, Co-published by the Michigan Basin Geological Society and the Michigan Geological Survey, p. 111