The Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences at Western Michigan University sponsors a Seminar Series, student proposal sessions and thesis and dissertation defenses. See the information provided below for a list of dates, topics and descriptions. Looking for alumni events? Please visit our Alumni page. Check back frequently for updates!
Our seminars will typically be held on Mondays from 4-5 pm EDT during the fall and spring semesters. So far, most of the seminars are being scheduled as virtual and will be held using WebEx.
The current 2021-22 seminar schedule is as follows:
- Monday, January 10 - NO SEMINAR
- Monday, January 17 - NO SEMINAR (MLK Day)
- Monday, January 24 - VIRTUAL SEMINAR: Thomas "Tim" Harris (Lockheed Martin (retired)) will present "Too Big To See: Observation-based cosmic impact speculation of N. American Great Lakes as a mid Pleistocene impact structure, parent of the Australasian tektites & Carolina bays". Abstract WebEx Link
- Monday, January 31 - VIRTUAL SEMINAR: Dr. John Luczaj, Professor and Chair of Geosciences at University of Wisconsin, Green Bay will present "Groundwater Quality in Wisconsin: How the geologic framework, rock chemistry, and land use affects water quality in Wisconsin’s aquifer systems”. WebEx Link
- Monday, February 7 - VIRTUAL SEMINAR: Molly Sherwood, Environmental Compliance Manager at Kent County DPW will present "TBD-Conceptual Site Model for PFAS distribution and potential contribution the North Kent Landfill". WebEx Link
- Monday, March 7 - NO SEMINAR (Spring Break)
- Monday, March 21 - VIRTUAL SEMINAR: Dr. Matty Mookarjee, Professor and Department Chair at Sonoma State University will present "TBD" WebEx Link