The Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences at Western Michigan University sponsors a Seminar Series, student proposal sessions and thesis and dissertation defenses. On this page, you will find details about department events like Advisory Council meetings, Seminar Series, thesis and dissertation proposals and defenses and other recurring and non-recurring events. See the information provided below for a list of dates, topics and descriptions. Check back frequently for updates!
ANNUAL ALUMNI REUNION AND STUDENT AWARD ceremony
- Friday, April 12 | Annual Alumni Reunion and Awards Ceremony
This event will begin with a potluck meal at 5 p.m. (main dish and refreshments will be provided). The award ceremony will follow.
Seminar Series—Spring 2019
All seminars take place on Monday afternoons from 4 to 5 p.m. in 1118 Rood Hall
- March 25 | Using the Lens of Social Capital to Inform Efforts Aiming to Increase Diversity in the Geosciences
Dr. Caitlin Callahan, Assistant Professor, Grand Valley State University
- April 1 | Geology and Geomorphology in Cultural Landscape Management
Stephanie Austin, Historical Landscape Architect, Quinn Evans Architects
- April 8 | Carbonate Sedimentology/Stratigraphy
Dr. Juan Carlos Laya, Assistant Professor, Texas A&M University
- April 15 | Career Presentation
Jim Ferritto, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality