While academic success is obviously essential to any rewarding college experience, it is certainly not the only component in the equation. To many students, in fact, academic success wouldn't be possible without the development of meaningful professional and personal relationships. As a result, there is a thriving sense of community in this department, thanks in no small part to our highly active student organizations. These organizations provide a multitude of professionalization opportunities, in addition to collaborating to host events that unite our undergraduate and graduate student body. These events promotes communication, collaboration and much needed opportunities to have fun and relieve stress.
Students are encouraged to be active and participate in events related to their study as a means of implementing their knowledge outside of the classroom. This involvement helps to develop:
- Community participation
- Presentation, leadership and management skills
Our alumni tell us that these practices helped them find work in managerial and leadership positions.
The Western Michigan University Geology Club, sponsored by the department:
- Stimulates an active interest in geology and earth science through the sharing of new ideas, discussions and presentations.
- Increases an awareness of geoscience through different media.
- Fosters new experiences in geosciences through geology field trips and community events, such as their famous mineral sales!
WMU Student Chapter of American Institute of Professional Geologists
The WMU chapter of American Institute of Professional Geologists was chartered in 2015. It organizes social and educational events to promote geology as a profession. AIPG emphasizes competence, integrity and ethics.
WMU Student Chapter of American Association of Petroleum Geologists
The WMU chapter of American Association of Petroleum Geologists was reestablished in 2014. It organizes social and educational events to promote careers in the oil and gas industries as well as academia.
WMU Student Chapter of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists
The Society of Exploration Geophysicists Student Chapter at Western Michigan University was established in 2015. The society helps students expand their knowledge of geosciences and geophysical techniques. It also provides students with opportunities to hold leadership roles and share ideas in a group setting. Any graduate and undergraduate students interested in expanding your knowledge of geophysics are encouraged to join!
- To Participate: Visit our Facebook page to get an idea about upcoming activities.
- To Learn More: If you would like to learn more about what SEG is about, please see their website.