The Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences at Western Michigan University is deeply invested in its students' success. Success isn't purely defined by how well a student performs in class, however. In order to maximize their college experience, it is also essential that students take agency over their education by becoming familiar with the resources and opportunities available to them. Furthermore, it is important that our students understand how to utilize these resources. To this end, we have tried to make this website as user-friendly as possible. While we hope that all of the information on this site is useful to our students at some point during their course study, we realize there are some resources, listed below, that all students should be familiar with from the very start.
- Graduate Handbook: 2018-19 | 2017-18 | 2016-17 | 2015-16
- Student conduct
- Career guidance, job/fellowship opportunities
- Graduate College forms
- Poster printing guidelines & order form
- Scholarship opportunities
- WMU course catalog
- WMU course offerings
Have a question about your program of study, which courses to take and when, how to enroll or how to prepare for your chosen career path?
- Dr. Duane Hampton is the faculty advisor for undergraduate students majoring in earth science education. Dr. Hampton also advises students who need help deciding which geosciences major/minor to pursue.
- Dr. Michelle Kominz is the faculty advisor for undergraduate students in all other majors and minors.
- Dr. Peter Voice is the faculty advisor for all graduate students.
Have a question about anything else? The department staff is happy to help you find the answers you need. Consult the list below to find the best person to ask.
- Tom Howe, Specialist, Sr.: Tom is who you should contact to order a poster, inquire about equipment or discuss the Hydrogeology Field Course.
- Kathy Wright, Program Manager: Kathy is who you should contact if you need to get key card access and/or sign out a key. She is also a good source for questions about travel reimbursement or if you need to be enrolled in a course that requires department permission. Kathy is the person you turn your time-card in to and ask to schedule a room for your defense/proposal.
- Michelle Gates, Administrative Assistant II: Michelle is who you should contact if you need to sign out a key to a specific room or laboratory. She is also a good source for questions pertaining to scheduling a visit, graduate applications, the department website or social media accounts.