KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Western Michigan University will observe Memorial Day with no classes Monday, May 28. Additionally, many offices will be closed or operating on reduced hours Monday. Classes resume and all offices resume normal hours Tuesday, May 29.
Listed below are Memorial Day weekend hours for selected University offices and services. Faculty, students and the public are encouraged to call ahead to make sure that a particular office on campus is open.
For emergencies only, contact the WMU Department of Public Safety at (269) 387-5555.
Office closings apply to non-represented University employees. Many represented employees are contractually scheduled to work Monday, May 28, since the University continues to provide services during the recess. Represented employees should direct questions to their management
Closures and special hours
- Many offices, including admissions, Bronco Express, financial aid and Office of Student Transitions, close at 5 p.m. Friday, May 25, and reopen Tuesday, May 29.
- The Bernhard Center is open Saturday and Sunday, May 26-27, and is closed Memorial Day, May 28. Subway, located in the Bronco Mall on the lower level of the Bernhard Center, is open 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. All other Bronco Mall stores are closed Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
- Bernhard Center computer lab closes at 10 p.m. Friday, May 25; is open normal hours Saturday and Sunday, May 26-27; is closed Monday, May 28; and reopens at 8 a.m. Tuesday, May 29.
- Office of Information Technology Help Desk closes at 5 p.m. Friday, May 25, and reopens at 8 a.m. Tuesday, May 29.
- Sindecuse Health Center, including the pharmacy, is closed Saturday, Sunday and Monday, May 26-28. When Sindecuse Health Center is closed, medical emergencies should be referred to local hospitals or other health care providers.
- Student Recreation Center closes at 6 p.m. Friday, May 25, and reopens at 6 a.m. Tuesday, May 29.
- Unified Clinics closes at 5 p.m. Friday, May 25, and reopens at 8 a.m. Tuesday, May 29.
- University Computing Center lab closes at 5 p.m. Friday, May 25, and reopens at 8 a.m. Tuesday, May 29.
- Waldo Library closes at 5 p.m. Saturday, May 26, and is closed Sunday and Monday, May 27-28. The Swain Education, Maybee Music and Dance, and Archives libraries are also closed Monday. The libraries resume normal hours Tuesday, May 29.
To reduce energy costs while the University is closed, heating and cooling systems in all office and classroom buildings controlled by the WMU Building Energy Management System will be in holiday mode. Air handlers will not run during this time unless a space is exempt from the program or the temperature in a particular space goes outside of the range of 60 to 85 degrees. Portions of a particular building that do not normally go into night setback mode will not go into holiday mode.
Employees are reminded to shut off and unplug all non-essential electronics before the long weekend.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit WMU News online.