KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Except for essential and emergency services, Western Michigan University is closed effective noon Monday, Jan. 28, due to severe weather. All classes are canceled.
The closure includes the University's Kalamazoo and Battle Creek campuses as well as all regional locations in Michigan.
The closure of the WMU-Grand Rapids Downtown and WMU-Grand Rapids Beltline regional locations were announced previously. Those campuses remain closed.
Updates will be posted here as they become available.
- Bronco Transit buses will stop running at 1 p.m. today, with the last departure from the College of Aviation at 12:10 p.m.
- Dining Services—All residence hall dining centers and Café 1903 Late-night carryout are open when the University closes due to weather. Regular hours and menus are followed. Campus Cafés such as Flossie's, the Plaza Café and the Bernhard Café are closed.
- The Miller Auditorium ticket office will be closed starting at noon today. Tickets are available 24/7 at millerauditorium.com.
- Sindecuse Health Center, including the pharmacy, will be open until 3 p.m. today. The cutoff for appointments is 2:30 p.m. There will be no charge for canceled or no-show appointments.
- The Student Recreation Center will be open until 8 p.m. Check the center's website for details on fitness class offerings.
Weather-related University closings since 1999
- 1999, Jan. 4-5—Heavy snowfall delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2000, Nov. 21-22—Thanksgiving recess began Tuesday because of snow.
- 2006, Dec. 1—An ice storm downed trees and caused power outages.
- 2007, Feb. 5—Extreme cold and snow closed many Michigan colleges.
- 2008, Feb. 1—WMU closed due to snow.
- 2009, Dec. 10—Blizzard conditions closed WMU.
- 2013, Jan. 31—Snow and icy conditions closed WMU.
- 2014, Jan. 6-7—Significant snowfall and expected severely cold temperatures prompted many Michigan colleges to close. The closure delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2014, Jan. 27—Snow and cold temperatures closed WMU.
- 2014, Nov. 18—Heavy snowfall closed WMU.
- 2015, Feb. 2—A widespread snowstorm closed WMU and many others schools around the state.
- 2016, Feb. 25—In an otherwise mild winter, a heavy snow accompanied by high winds closed WMU.
- 2018, Feb. 9—Severe winter weather prompted WMU to close at noon.
- 2019, Jan. 23—A mix of sleet, freezing rain and snow closed schools throughout the region.
- 2019, Jan. 28—A snowstorm covered the Kalamazoo area in several inches of snow and closed many schools throughout Michigan.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit WMU News online.
Weather prompts WMU to close at 5 today, all day Wednesday, Jan. 30 | Jan. 29, 2019
WMU's Michigan campuses and regional locations closed through Thursday, Jan. 31 | Jan. 30, 2019