KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Except for essential and emergency services, all of Western Michigan University's campuses and regional locations in Michigan will be closed again tomorrow, Thursday, Jan. 31, 2019, due to severe winter weather, including dangerous wind chills.
Those campuses and regional locations closed at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 29, and remain closed today, Wednesday, Jan. 30.
Updates will be posted here as they become available.
See the University events calendar for a full list of canceled events.
- The Bronco men's basketball game, scheduled for 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 31, has been canceled and rescheduled for Feb. 14.
- The Bronco women's basketball team was slated to play at Northern Illinois on Jan. 31; that game has been canceled with a reschedule date to be announced.
- Bronco Transit buses will not run Wednesday or Thursday, Jan. 30-31.
- Dining Services—All residence hall dining centers and Café 1903 Late-night carryout are open when the University closes due to weather. Regular hours and menus are followed. Campus Cafés such as Flossie's, the Plaza Café and the Bernhard Café are closed.
- The Miller Auditorium ticket office will remainopen Wednesday and Thursday, Jan. 30-31, during its 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. normal operating hours. Tickets are available 24/7 at millerauditorium.com.
- Sindecuse Health Center, including the pharmacy, will be open until 3 p.m. on Jan. 30 and from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 31. The cutoff for appointments is 2:30 p.m. There will be no charge for canceled or no-show appointments.
- The Student Recreation Center will be closing at 2 p.m. Jan. 30 and will remain closed Thursday, Jan. 31. Check the center's website for additional details.
Weather-related University closings since 1999
- 1999, Jan. 4-5—Heavy snowfall delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2000, Nov. 21-22—Thanksgiving recess began Tuesday because of snow.
- 2006, Dec. 1—An ice storm downed trees and caused power outages.
- 2007, Feb. 5—Extreme cold and snow closed many Michigan colleges.
- 2008, Feb. 1—WMU closed due to snow.
- 2009, Dec. 10—Blizzard conditions closed WMU.
- 2013, Jan. 31—Snow and icy conditions closed WMU.
- 2014, Jan. 6-7—Significant snowfall and expected severely cold temperatures prompted many Michigan colleges to close. The closure delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2014, Jan. 27—Snow and cold temperatures closed WMU.
- 2014, Nov. 18—Heavy snowfall closed WMU.
- 2015, Feb. 2—A widespread snowstorm closed WMU and many others schools around the state.
- 2016, Feb. 25—In an otherwise mild winter, a heavy snow accompanied by high winds closed WMU.
- 2018, Feb. 9—Severe winter weather prompted WMU to close at noon.
- 2019, Jan. 23—A mix of sleet, freezing rain and snow closed schools throughout the region.
- 2019, Jan. 28—A snowstorm covered the Kalamazoo area in several inches of snow and closed many schools throughout Michigan.
- 2019, Jan. 29—Severe weather prompted WMU to close 5 p.m.
- 2019, Jan. 30—Snow and dangerously low temperatures due to wind chill prompted schools throughout the upper Midwest to close.
- 2019, Jan. 31—Continued frigid temperatures and dangerous wind chills close many Michigan universities for a second consecutive full day.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit WMU News online.
Weather prompts WMU to close at 5 today, all day Wednesday, Jan. 30 | Jan. 29, 2019
WMU closed Monday, Jan. 28, due to severe weather | Jan. 28, 2019