KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Except for essential and emergency services, all of Western Michigan University's campuses and regional locations in Michigan close at 5 p.m. today, due to severe weather.
All WMU campuses and regional locations also will be closed Wednesday, Jan. 30.
Updates will be posted here as they become available.
- Bronco Transit buses are incurring delays today on all bus routes. Buses will not be running during the Jan. 30 closure.
- Dining Services—All residence hall dining centers and Café 1903 Late-night carryout are open when the University closes due to weather. Regular hours and menus are followed. Campus Cafés such as Flossie's, the Plaza Café and the Bernhard Café are closed.
- The Miller Auditorium ticket office will remain open until 6 p.m. tonight and be open Jan. 30 during its 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. normal operating hours. Tickets are available 24/7 at millerauditorium.com.
- Sindecuse Health Center, including the pharmacy, will close at 5 p.m. today and be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 30. The cutoff for Jan. 30 appointments is 2:30 p.m. There will be no charge for canceled or no-show appointments.
- The Student Recreation Center will be open until 8 p.m. tonight with adjusted programs and services and open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Jan. 30 with adjusted programs and services. For more information, check the center's Facebook or Twitter pages or visit the center's website.
Weather-related University closings since 1999
- 1999, Jan. 4-5—Heavy snowfall delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2000, Nov. 21-22—Thanksgiving recess began Tuesday because of snow.
- 2006, Dec. 1—An ice storm downed trees and caused power outages.
- 2007, Feb. 5—Extreme cold and snow closed many Michigan colleges.
- 2008, Feb. 1—WMU closed due to snow.
- 2009, Dec. 10—Blizzard conditions closed WMU.
- 2013, Jan. 31—Snow and icy conditions closed WMU.
- 2014, Jan. 6-7—Significant snowfall and expected severely cold temperatures prompted many Michigan colleges to close. The closure delayed the start of spring semester.
- 2014, Jan. 27—Snow and cold temperatures closed WMU.
- 2014, Nov. 18—Heavy snowfall closed WMU.
- 2015, Feb. 2—A widespread snowstorm closed WMU and many others schools around the state.
- 2016, Feb. 25—In an otherwise mild winter, a heavy snow accompanied by high winds closed WMU.
- 2018, Feb. 9—Severe winter weather prompted WMU to close at noon.
- 2019, Jan. 23—A mix of sleet, freezing rain and snow closed schools throughout the region.
- 2019, Jan. 28—A snowstorm covered the Kalamazoo area in several inches of snow and closed many schools throughout Michigan.
- 2019, Jan. 29—Severe weather prompted WMU to close 5 p.m.
- 2019, Jan. 30—Snow and dangerously low temperatures due to wind chill prompted schools throughout the upper Midwest to close.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit WMU News online.
WMU closed Monday, Jan. 28, due to severe weather | Jan. 28, 2019
WMU's Michigan campuses and regional locations closed through Thursday, Jan. 31 | Jan. 30, 2019