The Group for the Study of Technology and Society is based in the Department of Sociology at Western Michigan University and is open to graduate students interested in joining or attending the meetings. We examine sociological issues surrounding technology and the Internet.
Typical topics include these and many other technology-related issues:
- Activism and hacktivism (gender and technology)
- Intellectual property and (vs.) consumer rights
- Open-source and open-access (privacy and surveillance)
- Social movements in the digital age
- Sociology of gaming
- Technology and methods of research
Suggestions for additional topics are always welcome.
Meetings are typically one hour in length and feature one or two topics.
Anyone is welcome to present research, readings or topics for group for discussion.