RSO Advisors

Advisor Resources

Welcome to the RSO Advisor resources webpage! Here, you will find content specifically designed for advisors to better serve their students and the organizations they represent. If you have any questions that are not answered on this page, please feel free to contact the Graduate Assistant for RSO Development at


Who Can Be an Advisor?

An RSO advisor can be any of the following (AND ONLY any of the following):

  • A WMU faculty and/or staff member
  • A WMU graduate student with "advising" in their assistantship duties (TA or GA)
  • A local community member who is not a current Western student, but has experience relevant to your RSO's mission/purpose

Please note that current WMU undergraduate students cannot serve as RSO advisors.


rSO Registration Forms

All RSOs are required to have their advisors complete two forms upon registration in ExperienceWMU: the "Letter of Intent" and the "Advisor Expectations Form." Students can find both forms when they register their RSO in ExperienceWMU. Students should make sure that they acquire all necessary signatures before submitting these forms on ExperienceWMU.

Letter of Intent

Advisor Expectations


The Advisor Handbook and the Advisor Policy Guide

The "RSO Advisor Handbook" is a document detailing the basics on serving as an RSO advisor. If you are looking for advising tips, general information, or points of contact for assistance, please review this document. The "Advisor Policy Guide" lists specific policies that may be relevant to you as an advisor. If you have any policy questions, or are looking to guide your students on RSO policies/procedures, please review this document. You can also direct students to the RSO Handbook, located at the bottom of the OSE's "Resources" webpage.

RSO Advisor Handbook

RSO Advisor Policy Guide


Advisor Issues

If any issues arise with an advisor, we highly encourage the complainant (whether they are a student or an advisor) to fill out an "Advisor Complaint Form." Please note that employees at the Office of Student Engagement may be required to report certain complaints to the Title IX office, depending on the nature of the issue. Specifics are listed on the form. Please submit the "Advisor Complaint Form" to Brad Kosiba at the Office of Student Engagement via email ( You may also email Brad if you have any questions about the Advisor Complaint process.

Advisor Complaint Form