Emily Bosak portrait in Kalamazoo.

Transfer to WMU from Kalamazoo Valley Community College

Kalamazoo Valley Community College and Western Michigan University have an established transfer partnership. Our goal is to help you maximize your time at KVCC and ensure your transition to WMU is as smooth as possible. This page directs you to online resources, real people in admissions, and advising that care about your questions and want to help you succeed.

WMU Essential Studies (WES) is the required curriculum for all undergraduate students at Western Michigan University. Courses are designed to help students become fluent in change and driven to contribute; develop perseverance; and be ready for their future. Students develop the skills employers seek most in graduates—demonstrated complex problem solving, critical thinking, creativity, emotional intelligence, judgment, and decision making. The WES guide is for catalog years beginning in 2020. The MTA fulfills levels 1 and 2 of WES so transfer students are encouraged to complete the MTA before transferring to Western. 

Online resources for transfer students

Admissions questions?

If you have questions, please call the Office of Admissions at (269) 387-2000. You can also email us at admissions-info@wmich.edu.

Campus visits at WMU

Phi Theta Kappa

WMU's Phi Theta Kappa Alumni chapter, Alpha of Michigan, invites you to join us for fun activities and volunteer opportunities that will positively shape your experience at WMU! The chapter strives to follow the four hallmarks: scholarship, leadership, fellowship and service. You can connect with us on Facebook or via email.

Major guides

Articulation agreements with WMU

Our Articulation agreements ensure KVCC students have a direct and clear graduation path for a number of specific majors at WMU. If your intended major is not listed, please connect with your WMU representative for further assistance.

 Accelerated Master's Program Agreements

The Accelerated Graduate Degree Program pathways allow WMU undergraduate students the opportunity to enroll in graduate courses while still an undergraduate. During your senior year, students in the accelerated program may take up to 12 credit hours of graduate course work which also counts toward your undergraduate degree. Transfer students following our 2+3 accelerated graduate degree argeements can earn their master's degree in 5 years.