Western Michigan University's philosophy program is considered one of the best in the nation—its graduate program is consistently ranked as one of the top-10 M.A. programs in the world. Its strength is in three particular areas:
- Epistemology and the philosophy of science
- Metaphysics and the philosophy of the mind
- Theoretical and applied ethics
As a philosophy student at WMU, you will acquire skills for public speaking, debate, critical evaluation and logical reasoning. You will also learn how to develop and present your own theories and arguments. The program is flexible, allowing for independent study as well as coursework from other WMU departments.
Beyond the classroom
If you choose to major in philosophy at WMU, you will have a wide range of extracurricular opportunities available to you, from our award-winning Ethics Bowl Team to competitive Undergraduate Research Awards that provide the opportunity to do intensive research with an accomplished professor.
WMU also supports a Center for the Study of Ethics in Society that encourages and supports research, teaching and service to the University and community in areas of applied and professional ethics. These areas include, but are not restricted to: business, education, engineering, government, health and human services, law, media, medicine, science and technology.
After you graduate
Recent WMU graduates with degrees in philosophy are working as:
- Public service officials
- Business administrators
- Hospital administrators
Among the organizations they work for are:
- Advertising agencies
- State and federal government agencies
- Colleges and universities
- Consulting firms
Where is this program offered?
Other programs of interest
- Advertising and Promotion
- Communication Studies
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- Healthcare Services and Sciences
- Leadership and Business Strategy
- Organizational Communication
- Political Science
- Psychology: Behavioral Science
- Psychology: General Psychology
- Public Relations
- Sales and Business Marketing
- Social Work