advertising and promotion
If you’re a creative, strategic thinker with a passion for communicating, Western Michigan University’s advertising and promotion major at the Haworth College of Business is the right choice for you. Focusing on hands-on learning with courses emphasizing experiential learning and portfolio-development opportunities, the advertising program boasts small class sizes and top faculty that bring real-world experience into the school classroom. It is also among only 10 percent of advertising programs housed within a university business college, offering the best mix of marketing, communication and business fundamentals to help land that dream position.
So what are you waiting for? Join the more than 2,000 alumni and see what you can do with an advertising and promotion degree from WMU!
The WMU AdClub
The WMU AdClub is a student run club that acts as the conduit between students, alumni and employers. Each year, more than 20 guest speakers representing all advertising career paths are invited to speak to the club, and many stay an extra day to actively recruit and interview for upcoming entry-level positions or internships. The AdClub also coordinates several trips to career conferences in Detroit, Chicago and New York. The AdClub works closely with the advertising program faculty and one of the best advisory boards in the nation to facilitate life-changing industry experiences.
- MKTG 2500—Marketing Principles
- MKTG 3710—Marketing Research
- MKTG 3740—Advertising and Promotion
- MKTG 4720—Advertising Media Strategy (fall only)
- MKTG 4740—Creative Strategy (fall only)
- MKTG 4770—Consumer Behavior
- MKTG 4810—Integrated Marketing Communication Campaigns (Spring Before Graduation)
Electives (two required)
- MKTG 3600—Professional Selling
- MKTG 3730—Digital and Social Media Marketing
- MKTG 3770—Sales Promotion
- MKTG 3800—Sport Marketing
- MKTG 4730—Data Driven Marketing
- MKTG 4750—International Marketing
- MKTG 4780—Special Topics in Marketing
WMU advertising and promotion students are recruited and hired by small, medium and large agencies, as well as media and client organizations. Below are some notable organizations where our alumni work.
Contact a faculty member below if you have questions or concerns related to your coursework, or for career advising.