Master of arts (M.a.)
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Personal statement of 500-1500 words explaining summary of experience, future goals, and applicant’s interest in this master’s degree program.
- Resume or curriculum vitae (CV).
- Additional requirement for post-baccalaureate pathway:
- Bachelor's degree must be comparable to the current Michigan secondary teachable major endorsement in marketing, business, family and consumer sciences, or industrial technology.
- Successful completion of Basic Skills Examination.
- 4000 hours of recent and relevant work experience in a related field.
- Successful completion of the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) in the discipline.
"I am grateful to the program for transforming me into a more dynamic teacher. I now have the tools and skil set to guide my students toward a career pathway that aligns with their passion and personal goals."Gina Panzica
This program is offered in-person, online, and hybrid.
The 30-credit Master's degree in Workforce Education and Development reflects contemporary legislation, national trends and critical issues that affect state and national work force development. Depending on the focus area, students expand their expertise in workforce education and development program administration, acquire advanced curriculum and instructional competencies in career-related training programs, school-to-work initiatives, student leadership development, and special populations. Required coursework, developed from the published research body of knowledge of the professional areas, strengthens students' abilities to teach workforce education and development, and to develop and implement new programs and curricula at secondary and post-secondary levels.
Those seeking to become a certified Michigan middle or high school CTE teacher should pursue the 36-credit post-baccalaureate pathway, which certifies teachers in the following areas:
- Business, marketing, management and technology
- Family and consumer sciences
- Industrial technology
A 9-credit certificate in Professional Workforce Educator that meets the academic course requirement for Michigan Standard CTE Certification is also available.
Why Workforce Education and Development at Western Michigan University?
- Flexible programming allows students to complete this degree in-person, completely online, or in a hybrid model.
- Includes an optional leadership development program for individuals who desire a leadership position at the secondary or post-secondary level.
- Prepares students for future careers or continued study in the Educational Leadership Doctoral program.
- 100% of program graduates were employed or continuing education within three months of graduation.
- Students are encouraged to pursue additional educational opportunities through one of our many excellent study abroad programs, such as Education and Human Development in India.
- We are the only institution in the U.S. that includes an optional co-curricular designation known as the WMU Signature. Pathways include: Teaching & Student Success, Leadership, Health & Wellbeing, Diversity, Inclusion, Equity & Justice, and more!
Who should apply?
Professionals looking to expand their expertise and acquire advanced curriculum and instructional competencies in career related training programs, school-to-work initiatives, student leadership development and special populations.
Those seeking to become a certified Michigan middle or high school CTE teacher.
An online component is offered specifically for military service members. Arrangements will be made for the participants to work with a school in their locale to accomplish the hands-on components of the courses.
Cost & Funding
- Tuition and fees
- Cost of attendance
- Employer-paid tuition
- Military and veterans
- Leadership Development Program
- MTTC: Information | Testing Information
- Interim Occupational Application
- Teacher Cadet—Education General—Checklist
- Teacher Cadet—Education General—Teaching Experience Form
- Teacher and Vocational Certification Checklist
- Vocational Pathways (where WMU has approval)
- Vocational Work Experience Verification
- College of Education and Human Development
- International Admissions and Services
- Graduate College
- Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Visit Campus
Charles Bruce, Faculty Specialist
Dr. Adam Manley, Associate Professor