- How do I plan a field experience?
- How do I find a position that fits the course requirements?
- How do I enroll in the course?
How do I plan a Field Experience?
- Examine your personal goals, and seek a position that will help you reach your career objectives. Employers will expect entry-level experience in your field when you graduate, so plan your field experience to give you a valuable edge in your post-graduation job search.
- Determine how much time you have to devote to the field experience. If you enroll for one credit in a semester, you will be required to complete a minimum of 100 hours (about seven hours per week) during a fifteen-week semester. Two credits require about 14 hours, and three credits require 20 hours per week. Be sure that your class schedule allows enough time to fit in work hours. Note that all work hours must be completed within the semester of enrollment.
- It is recommended that you complete your field experience requirement in your sophomore or junior year. Contact Ms. Kelly Weathers to discuss timing and suitable sites for your field experience.
- Your field experience must be approved by major faculty prior to enrolling in the course. Begin planning your field experience three to six months before you plan to enroll in the course. Field experience can be completed anywhere on the planet, with faculty approval.
How do I find a position that fits the course requirements?
- Ask for ideas from faculty in your major.
- Networking (speakers in classes, job fairs)
- Register on WMU's Handshake job search platform.
- Search Internet job boards.
- Email Ms. Kelly Weathers to discuss options.
How do I enroll in the course?
Step 1. Obtain a position which fits your major’s requirements.
Step 2. Determine the number of credits you wish to earn for the semester. Ask your supervisor to assist you in estimating the hours you’ll be able to complete in the enrolled semester. Your position must offer the opportunity to complete at least 100 hours in the semester in which you plan to enroll. A maximum of three credits (300 work hours) may be earned in a semester.
Step 3. Download and complete a department approval form (found at top of page).
Step 4. Obtain approval signature from your work supervisor on the FCS 2020 department approval form. This signature indicates that you have discussed course requirements for work hours and employer evaluations with your work supervisor.
Step 5. Obtain major faculty signature on the department approval form indicating approval of the field experience site. Be prepared to discuss your job responsibilities, work schedule and how the position relates to your major.
Step 6. Submit a typed scanned or hard copy of the completed department approval form with all signatures to Kelly Weathers. You will be allowed to register for the course after all steps are completed.
Please note that it is not possible to register for this course until the registration restriction has been removed. Once approved, you will receive an email letting you know when you are able to register.
Questions? Please email Ms. Kelly Weathers.