- How do I plan a field experience?
- How do I find a position that fits the course requirements?
- How do I enroll in the course?
FCS2020 department approval form summer 2018
How do I plan a Field Experience?
- Examine your personal goals, and seek a position that will help you reach your career objectives. Employers will expect entry-level experience in your field when you graduate, so plan your field experience to give you a valuable edge in your post-graduation job search.
- Determine how much time you have to devote to the field experience. If you enroll for one credit in a semester, you will be required to complete a minimum of 100 hours (about seven hours per week) during a fifteen-week semester. Two credits require about 14 hours, and three credits require 20 hours per week. Be sure that your class schedule allows enough time to fit in work hours. Note that all work hours must be completed within the semester of enrollment.
- It is recommended that you complete your field experience requirement in your sophomore or junior year. Contact Dr. Barb Frazier to discuss timing and suitable sites for your field experience.
- Your field experience must be approved by major faculty prior to enrolling in the course. Begin planning your field experience three to six months before you plan to enroll in the course. Field experience can be completed anywhere on the planet, with faculty approval.
How do I find a position that fits the course requirements?
- Ask for ideas from faculty in your major.
- Networking (speakers in classes, job fairs)
- Register on WMU's Handshake job search platform.
- Search Internet job boards.
- Email Dr. Frazier to discuss options.
How do I enroll in the course?
Step 1. Obtain a position which fits your major’s requirements.
Step 2. Determine the number of credits you wish to earn for the semester. Ask your supervisor to assist you in estimating the hours you’ll be able to complete in the enrolled semester. Your position must offer the opportunity to complete at least 100 hours in the semester in which you plan to enroll. A maximum of three credits (300 work hours) may be earned in a semester.
Step 3. Download and complete a department approval form (found at top of page).
Step 4. Obtain approval signature from your work supervisor on the FCS 2020 department approval form. This signature indicates that you have discussed course requirements for work hours and employer evaluations with your work supervisor.
Step 5. Obtain major faculty signature on the department approval form indicating approval of the field experience site. Be prepared to discuss your job responsibilities, work schedule and how the position relates to your major.
Step 6. Submit typed hard copy of completed department approval form with all signatures to Dr. Frazier. You will be registered for the course after all steps are completed.
Please note that it is not possible to self-register for this course. Registration deadlines for each semester are noted on the approval form, and must be strictly adhered to. The class meets twice per semester in spring and fall semesters and once in summer sessions. You must attend a mandatory orientation session for each enrolled semester, where course requirements are explained. Fall and spring enrollees must also attend a final meeting. Dates for all required meetings are noted on registration form and in GoWMU course schedules.
Questions? Please email Dr. Frazier.