Asian studies minor (18 credits)
This minor may be organized around a general study of Asia, one of its regions, or specific countries. Completion of appropriate courses must be completed through more than one department.
- 18 credit hours with a minimum grade of C in all courses.
- At least half of the courses to be at the 3000 level or above.
- Up to eight hours of an Asian language (such as Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, etc.) may be included in the minor requirements.
- Appropriate study abroad courses are welcome.
Courses offered at WMU that may be applied to this minor include, but are not limited to:
- ANTH 3400–Cultures of Asia
- ART 2230–Introduction to Asian Art History
- CHIN 2750–Chinese Life & Culture
- CHIN 2800–Chinese Calligraphy
- ECON 3870–Studies in Asian Economies
- ENGL 3130–Asian Literature
- GEOG 3830–China, Japan, and Korea
- HIST 3760–Modern East Asia
- HIST 3790–WWII in US and Japanese History
- HIST 3850–Modern Middle East
- HOL 5380–Easter Thought & Practice
- JPNS 2750–Japanese Life & Culture
- PSCI 3440–Russian/Central Asian Politics
- REL 2010–Buddhism
- REL 2020–Religion in China
- REL 2030–Religion in Japan
- REL 2040–Religion in India
- REL 3360–Zen & Buddhist Meditation
For more information or for printable information, please see our Asian studies minor flier.