To support incoming first-Year or transfer students with financial need who are enrolled in the Lee Honors College at Western Michigan University.
Please note that emergency funding is the only type of funding available at this time. All other Goodwin Scholarship funds have been awarded.
A. The Michael Goodwin Scholarship
Recipients shall be incoming first-year or transfer students who have been accepted into Western Michigan University and the Lee Honors College, and/or current full-time students who are already enrolled in the honors college. The Scholarship may be applied to tuition and related fees. The recipient(s) shall be selected at the sole discretion of the scholarship committee of the Lee Honors College under the following criteria:
1. For continuing students, being a member in good standing of the LHC and enrolled full-time at WMU.
2. If funds are available, an honors college student may receive the Michael Goodwin Scholarship up to two times as an honors student at WMU. The award is non-renewable; a student will need to reapply for the scholarship for future consideration.
B. The Michael Goodwin Financial Assistance Fund
The Michael Goodwin Financial Assistance Fund supports both domestic and international students of the Lee Honors College who require additional financial support due to unforeseen circumstances (e.g. medical bills, transportation or other emergency expenses that fall outside of the official WMU estimated cost of attendance). International students should meet with their Lee Honors College academic advisor to determine appropriate documentation. To be eligible, you must be in good standing with the Lee Honors College and have not yet graduated at the time the award is disbursed. An applicant may apply for and receive funds only one time during a semester.
Acceptance of applications is dependent on fund availability. If additional funding is needed in future semesters, students may reapply.
Additional criteria for the Financial Assistance Fund include:
1. Member in good standing of the Lee Honors College and currently enrolled at WMU at least half-time, fall/spring semesters only. For undergraduate students, half-time enrollment is six (6) credit hours during fall or spring.
2. Demonstrate financial need (see below).
3. Willingness to write a thank you note if/when funding received is from a specific donor within a month of receiving any funding. The Lee Honors College will provide stationary and send the note on your behalf.
Per the donor, the number of students and amounts of each scholarship awarded shall be determined by the Lee Honors College Scholarship Committee. If you have questions regarding the application process, please contact Jennifer Clements