Master of arts
- Bachelor's degree with GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Double-spaced, 500-1500 word statement explaining applicant’s experiences that make them an ideal candidate for this program.
- No GRE requirement
- Three professional letters of reference.
- Fall and Summer Applications due April 1
- Spring Applications due December 1
"I consistently utilize the knowledge and techniques learned in this program to better my players and motivate them to perform at the best of their abilities."Vincent Church, Coach, Gobles High School
Read more from Vincent and other alumni
This program is offered online.
The M.A. in Sports Coaching is a 30-credit program that is nationally recognized in quality coaching education. The program's high quality curriculum is one of only twelve universities in the nation accredited at the highest level by the National Committee for Accreditation of Coaching Education (NCACE) and is based on the National Standards for Sport Coaches that represent a core body of knowledge, skills and competencies that coaches should possess to excel at all levels of competition.
Why sports coaching at Western Michigan University?
- Nationally recognized program - accredited at the highest level by the National Committee for Accreditation of Coaching Education.
- High quality coaching education curriculum - based on National Standards for Sport Coaches.
- 100% of WMU sports coaching graduate students were employed or continuing education within three months of graduation.
- Complete the program at your own pace, in as few as two years and up to six years.
- Prior learning assessment opportunity opportunity allows students to receive for up to 15 credits for their prior knowledge and experiences. To be eligible, students seeking PLA credits are required to complete a “PLA Portfolio Development Course.”
- Students are encouraged to pursue additional educational opportunities through study abroad programs, such as Education and Human Development in India.
- We are the only institution in the U.S. that includes an optional co-curricular designation known as the WMU Signature. Pathways include: Teaching & Student Success, Leadership, Health & Wellbeing, and more!
WMU's master of arts sports coaching program is accredited by the National Committee for Accreditation of Coaching Education.
Our graduates are employed as coaches in K-12 schools, collegiate, professional, little league and other community teams. Visit our student testimonial page to learn more about careers in sports coaching.
Cost & Funding
The Master of Arts in Sports Coaching offers multiple funding opportunities including the Donald M. Jackson Memorial Endowed Scholarship in Coaching Sport Performance and Graduate Assistantships in the Department of Human Performance, Health Education Department, Campus Recreation, and Athletics.
- Tuition and fees
- Cost of attendance
- WMU Assistantships
- Employer-paid tuition
- Military and veterans
- Department of Human Performance and Health Education
- Athletic Department Employment
- University Recreation Assistantships
- College of Education and Human Development
- International Admissions and Services
- Graduate College
- Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Visit Campus