Master of Arts
- Bachelor's degree with GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Double-spaced, 500-1500 word statement explaining applicant’s experiences that make them an ideal candidate for this program.
- Three professional letters of reference.
- Fall and Summer Applications due April 1
- Spring Applications due December 1
- No GRE requirement
"I consistently utilize the knowledge and techniques learned in this program to better my players and motivate them to perform at the best of their abilities."Vincent Church, Coach, Gobles High School
This program is offered online.
The M.A. in Sports Coaching is a 30-credit program that is nationally recognized in quality coaching education. The program's high quality curriculum is one of only twelve universities in the nation accredited at the highest level by the National Committee for Accreditation of Coaching Education (NCACE) and is based on the National Standards for Sport Coaches that represent a core body of knowledge, skills and competencies that coaches should possess to excel at all levels of competition.
Why Sports Coaching at Western Michigan University:
- Nationally recognized program - accredited at the highest level by the National Committee for Accreditation of Coaching Education
- High quality coaching education curriculum - based on National Standards for Sport Coaches
- 100% of WMU sports coaching graduate students were employed or continuing education within three months of graduation
- Prior learning assessment opportunity allows students to apply for up to 15 credits for their prior knowledge and experiences
- Complete the program at your own pace, in as few as two years and up to six years
- Program start available Fall, Spring, and Summer and offered 100% online
- Best bang for the buck, with affordable cost and opportunities for scholarships and graduate assistantships
- Students are encouraged to pursue additional educational opportunities through one of our many excellent study abroad programs, such as Education and Human Development in India.
- All WMU programs offer an optional WMU Signature Designation, which helps students degrees stand out through an integrative learning project in one of several pathways including: Leadership, Health & Wellbeing, Diversity, Inclusion, Equity & Justice, and more!
Our graduates are employed as coaches in:
- Professional athletic teams
- University's and colleges
- K-12 Schools
- Little League and other community teams
Students have a choice to start with the program in fall, spring, or summer semesters.
Cost & Funding
The Master of Arts in Sports Coaching offers multiple funding opportunities including the Donald M. Jackson Memorial Endowed Scholarship in Coaching Sport Performance and Graduate Assistantships in the Department of Human Performance, Health Education Department, Campus Recreation, and Athletics.
- Tuition and fees
- Cost of attendance
- Employer-paid tuition
- Military and veterans
Zeljka Vidic, Program coordinator