Occupational Therapy Doctorate Program

In summer 2020, WMU's Department of Occupational Therapy launched an occupational therapy doctoral (OTD) program to replace of its highly-respected master's degree program.

Find more information about:

Fieldwork Experience

Put your classroom learning into practice. Fieldwork experiences connect a student’s academic knowledge with supervised clinical experience to help you become a competent, entry-level occupational therapy practitioner.

Capstone Experience

The Doctoral Capstone consists of a doctoral capstone experience and a capstone project designed to give you in-depth exposure to a concentrated area of study.

Calls to Action

  • Fieldwork

    Internship opportunities around the stat, across the nation

  • Capstone

    In-depth exposure to a concentrated area of study

  • Apply

    When you're ready to take the fist step

Accreditation Status


The entry-level occupational therapy doctoral degree program has applied for accreditation and has been granted Candidacy Status by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 6116 Executive Boulevard, Suite 200, North Bethesda, MD 20852-4929. ACOTE’s telephone number c/o AOTA is (301) 652-AOTA and its Web address is www.acoteonline.org. The program must have a preaccreditation review, complete an on-site evaluation, and be granted Accreditation Status before its graduates will be eligible to sit for the national certification examination for the occupational therapist administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). After successful completion of this exam, the individual will be an Occupational Therapist, Registered (OTR). In addition, all states require licensure in order to practice; however, state licenses are usually based on the results of the NBCOT Certification Examination. Note that a felony conviction may affect a graduate’s ability to sit for the NBCOT certification examination or attain state licensure.