Peer Academic Success Coaching
August 25, 2020
Service Update for the 2020-21 Academic Year
In alignment with courses being offered on campus and through distance education, Peer Academic Success Coaching services are available from a distance as our staff works remotely during this time. You will be able to receive success coaching, including twice-weekly sessions, assistance with goal planning, and academic support with specific courses.
To apply for a Peer Coach, please fill out the application here:
Peer Academic Success Coaching Application
You may also email Zari Carpenter, Peer Academic Success Coaching Program Manager.
Your success is our top priority and we will do our best to serve your needs. Thank you for your patience and be well!
About the Program
The Peer Academic Success Coaching program at Western Michigan University helps students perform to the best of their abilities. The goal is to help you attain the highest standards of academic excellence. Through the coaching process, you will work collaboratively with your coach to develop a plan of action to optimize academic performance and achieve your goals. You will learn strategies and techniques and receive support to take the steps necessary to enhance your learning experience at WMU.
Research shows that the most successful students use personal support services such as coaching. The most successful students realize early that asking for and taking advantage of help is a mark of intelligence and not an indicator of weakness.
You will receive:
- Two hours each week of one-on-one sessions with your coach to build study habits and receive individualized content tutoring.
- Assistance in developing short-term, mid-range and long-term goals.
- Help to remain accountable for progress toward the achievement of those goals.
- Assistance with specific academic issues.
- Assistance with connections to additional University and departmental resources.
Who should apply?
Coaching is available to any undergraduate student interested in:
- Enhancing their academic skills.
- Making the most of their learning opportunities.
- Receiving one-on-one help with your courses twice a week.