You Still Gotta Earn It

Posted by Justin Black on

Justin Black
Public Relations 
Kyung Hee University Summer Global Collaborative Program, Summer II 2017

Traveling overseas may seems like it’s such a long shot, especially for minority youth like myself or young people in general. Don’t get me wrong, getting the opportunity to do it doesn’t come very often. It can be expensive and awfully stressful even considering traveling. As a child I always wanted to travel but I never thought I’d have the funds too nor did I believe I would be brave enough to go through with it. As I grew up, I realized that the things you want to do in life will always present themselves one way or another.

While attending Western Michigan University I realized how big the study abroad program was. After pushing my fear aside I decided to commit to the decision to study abroad. Before agreeing I had to make sure I would be taken care of financially. Luckily for me, I’m dating a scholarship expert and found the funds to do all the study abroad I want.

I’m blessed to be in the position that I’m in but many people look at my situation and believe I was handed everything I have. The difference between me and other people is the fact that I take advantage of most of the opportunities that come my way. People don’t realize how much work goes into achieving your goals. Many people are under the impression that you either get handed something or you just don’t get it at all. This couldn’t be anything further from the truth.

There are a plethora of opportunities offered to us in life but that’s just the beginning of the journey. After you get hired for a job the next step is to start working to earn a paycheck, It’s the same when working to achieve a goal. I understand we may have setbacks and difficulties but that’s part of the process. These are things that I’m still learning myself in my life. We have to accept opportunities knowing that it isn’t over until you achieve your goal.

While working on scholarships to study abroad, I put my full effort into each and every essay I wrote. My mindset going into these essays was to deliver material written so well that it would be impossible to turn me down. I wrote essays knowing that I was going to receive each scholarship I applied for. Unfortunately, I was turned down a few times by a few different organizations.

I didn’t receive every scholarship I applied for but I had to look at what I did receive. I was one of only a couple hundred people to be awarded the Benjamin Gilman International Scholarship for $3,500. In addition to that, I have received nearly $10,000 worth of scholarships for school as well as study abroads. It all started from the state of mind that I will not be denied! We can apply this logic to every scenario in our lives. This was a teaching tool that I will never stop pushing towards my goals no matter how impossible they seem to be. The opportunity to achieve your dreams will always show itself.

Categories: Asia, South Korea, College of Arts and Sciences, School of Communication, Budget, Money, Homecoming, Post voyage, Summer II.