Exchange student applicants must be nominated by their home university.
- February 15 (fall)
- September 1 (spring)
- March 15 (fall)
- October 1 (spring)
Early nominations (at least one month in advance) are encouraged to allow sufficient time for students to complete the online exchange application. Late applications will be considered but might be subject to decreased course options.
Graduate student applications
Graduate admission for exchange programs will be permitted only if requested in advance directly to Yumi.Takahashi@wmich.edu. Additional information and application procedures may be required.
Only complete applications will be processed. For additional helpful information, please refer to the fact sheet:
- Partner university submits completed Nomination Form with supporting documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include the documents below for each student:
- Photo ID (Copy of passport identification page, or government-issued ID). Passport must be valid for at least six months after the semester ends.
- Complete official transcripts of post-secondary studies as well as copies of diplomas and certificates of degree earned. Must be translated into English and list course titles and grades or marks.
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS only). Test scores must be no more than two years old.
Note: TOEFL scores and official transcripts may be submitted later by the home university if the results are not available at time of nomination.
- After the nomination materials are received, instructions for completing the online exchange application will be provided to each student via email.
- Exchange students are required to live on campus. Apply for housing soon after being accepted to study at WMU. The online housing application is available in early February for the following year. It is very important for students to submit their application as soon as possible to obtain a placement.
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5312 USA
- Choose courses and submit the Course Selection form to our office as soon as possible to ensure receiving preferred WMU courses. Course offerings are available in late February for fall and at the beginning of October for spring semester. Please email the signed Course Selection form to our office after this time. Early submission of the Course Selection form makes it more likely to get into first-choice courses. WMU students begin registration approximately two weeks after the courses are announced and many courses fill quickly after that time. Course descriptions can be viewed in the catalogs.
More about course selection for exchange students
- Register for and attend the mandatory International Student Orientation. There will be a special meeting for exchange students during this orientation.